Lr 9.1 Print presets bug

Tagged: , , , , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Lr 9.1 Print presets bug Read 48858 Times
  • Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Adobe Lightroom & Adobe Camera Raw
    on: December 21, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Beware that Lr 9.1 (and probably previous versions) assigns wrong values to the print presets. My default preset has a given print quality and paper type, but when I check the printer settings (and the default preset is selected) a different print quality and a different paper are selected. If I manually make corrections the output is fine.

This is a new bug and it is hard to understand that such a basic section of the program was changed/broken.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Lr 9.1 Print presets bug
    Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019 at 4:55 pm

Can’t replicate on this end; all is fine under Mac OS Mojave with my preset.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019 at 5:16 pm

Mac OS Catalina.

Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019 at 5:22 pm

When I click on Printer it shows me a dialog box with the Default preset selected. When I click on Media/Quality it shows me Platinum Paper and Standard quality. If i click on presets and choose Default it brings my real default – Pro Luster and High quality. Something is wrong with the presets handling. See sequence of screen shots below.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019 at 5:23 pm

Antonio, I’m having some difficulty understanding what you are experiencing because I can’t replicate the problem, also using LR Classic 9.1 (Mac version) and an Epson printer. Lightroom by itself does not have printer presets. It does, however, allow users to create User Templates in the Print Module which include all the settings in the LR print module and the active settings in the printer driver. I assume you know that when you select the print quality and the Media Type in the menu that opens when you click on “Print Settings” (bottom left) or “Printer” (bottom right), you are pulling up the printer driver supplied by the printer manufacturer so if an Epson professional printer, the Epson driver. That is where the print quality and the Media Type are set – in the driver’s Printer Settings tab if you are on a Mac. You can and should save your preferred print settings in the driver as a driver Preset, which is done within the printer driver menu, through the Presets drop-down right under the top drop-down identifying the printer ( bottom of this drop-down “Save current settings as Preset”) If you save your driver settings as a preset and then with that done save a Print Template in LR with that printer driver Preset remaining active, there should be no instability of any settings from one session to the next. I just now tested it all several times over for this post and found no issue whatsoever.

Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:02 pm

@ Mark:

Yes, I know all that. The point is that Lr9.1 under Catalina is not retrieving the right sets out of the user presets in the print module. Please see my message above describing the screenshots. On another site someone else posted the exact same thing.

Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:04 pm

This may be the last straw to ditch Lr. For image editing I prefer PhotoNinja (far more realistic renderings) and I may move to Qimage One for printing. Those just work!

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:12 pm

@ Mark:

Yes, I know all that. The point is that Lr9.1 under Catalina is not retrieving the right sets out of the user presets in the print module. Please see my message above describing the screenshots. On another site someone else posted the exact same thing.

Just update the template.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:15 pm

@ Mark:

Just update the template.

If by update you meant re-saving it… Yes, I did that several times. And if I shut Lr off and restart and open the print module the default preset is not what I saved, until I select it again and then changes to the correct values. It is a bug!

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:22 pm

Well if you can’t save it and have it honor the new settings, you’re got something going south on your system or you’re doing something wrong because it works just fine here. I’ve not seen any reports about this on the UtoU site either, so maybe how you’re saving (where or issues with permissions) is the problem.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Sorry, I did not see Replies 1, 2 and 3 when I drafted mine for some reason I don’t understand. Anyhow, regardless, please note: there are no user presets in the LR print module. There are User Templates in LR’s Print module. A User template includes a Printer Preset from the printer driver that is active at the time you create the User Template in LR. Let us keep the vocabulary and process locations straight to minimize risk of confusion (at least I hope I am not spreading any!). Now, I see Andrew is on Mohave and I am on High Sierra and neither of us are having problems. I also suspect, but I don’t know for sure, Andrew is probably using an Epson printer, as am I. You are on Catalina and you are using a Canon printer. Therefore I am inclined to suspect (underline “suspect”) your problem may be one between the Canon driver and Catalina. Catalina is not really a “settled” OS yet (many people reporting various issues) and third parties may also still be catching up with it.

As for the “look” you get with LR compared with other raw converters, you can dial-in any look you please with LR. I edit and print hundreds upon hundreds of photographs with LR and have no problem creating whatever “personality” I want for the photo. Of course all of us should use whatever applications we are most comfortable and satisfied with – I’m just pointing out that there is nothing inherently inferior about LR’s capability to render whatever you want with it, unless it’s stuff that goes way outside the application’s boundaries, in which case you have the option of synchronized editing in Photoshop with which you really can do almost anything. As for printing, I do almost all my printing from LR – it’s excellent. I could tell you a lot more about this, but it would take us O/T and I don’t want to get into arguments about software.

I just now see Andrew has posted that you should check how you are saving, or what your system is doing when you are saving; this may well be worthwhile exploring “just in case”.

Antonio Dias
    Antonio Dias
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019 at 6:36 pm

@Mark – yeah, I agree with you. Templates (not presets) in the Print module.

Yeah, probably a Catalina issue, but why didn’t Adobe catch that?!? Pretty basic stuff to catch with the QC resources I bet Adobe has. and this one is annoying and can lead to a lot of wasted paper/ink if the operator does not check settings in advance.

Re IQ, yeah, Lr is just a RAW editor/renderer, but Its image modules/filters/etc. have biases. Other image rendering engines have biases too… I happen to like PhotoNinja’s biases. Nothing wrong with Lr as a tool, but there are many tools out there.

Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.