New series Epson Printers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Topic: New series Epson Printers! Read 68978 Times
  • Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Epson Printers
    on: October 1, 2019 at 1:08 pm

NOTE:     I just realized that I missed Kevin’s article on these new printers!  Sorry for doubling-up.

New Epson printers announced:

SC P7570 24” printer

SC P9570 44” printer

NO MORE BLACK INK SWITCHING!!!!!!!

SEPARATE SHEET FEED SLOT

USER SERVICEABLE

12 Inks

Hurrah!

https://epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Large-Format/SureColor-P7570-24%22-Wide-Format-Inkjet-Printer/p/SCP7570SE

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Eric Brody
    Eric Brody
    Participant
    Re: New series Epson Printers!
    Reply #1 on: October 1, 2019 at 3:12 pm

I saw that as well. Did you see the prices? Wow, the 24″ is $4,650!!!

Mark Lindquist
    Mark Lindquist
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: October 1, 2019 at 4:56 pm

Those things are both built like tanks. About time Epson fixed the black ink switching thing.

Should be great printers.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 1, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Hey, Kevin!   How about hook up w/ Epson and Mark Segal and give us the straight scoop, review, test, etc. on these things – w/ emphasis on comparison with 7000, 9000 in real world use.  Explanation of “user serviceable” feature, new feed mechanism for sheets.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: October 1, 2019 at 9:36 pm

Already way ahead of you.  Stay tuned.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: October 1, 2019 at 11:01 pm

Already way ahead of you. Stay tuned.

VERY cool… thanks so much.  I’m hoping it is as good as it sounds… I almost pulled the trigger on a 7000 last month, but then was out of town for a while and didn’t get to it.  Might be a fortuitous delay.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: October 2, 2019 at 3:25 pm

I saw that as well. Did you see the prices? Wow, the 24″ is $4,650!!!

Over the life of the printer, the huge preponderance of the costs are in the ink and paper.

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: October 2, 2019 at 3:31 pm

I’ve owned the 9000, 9500, and still own the 9800. The thing I like best about the 9800 is that it doesn’t clog much in intermittent service. I had a 3800 that was the same way. But I also had a 4900 that clogged unless you ran it every other day. I’ve got a friend with a 9900 who says the same thing happens to him. That’s why I bought the P800 instead of the 5000.

I could be a customer for the new printer if its clogging properties are like the 9800. Is there any way to tell? I have an exhibition that needs printing by the end of December.

Jim

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: October 2, 2019 at 6:44 pm

Jim,

I have had conversations with Epson on this and other topics.  They tout that clogging issues have been addressed.  As you know clogging issues have been one of the issues that haven’t helped Epson over the year.  My P800 very seldom has issues.  One of the most reliable printers I have ever owned.  Time will tell but I believe Epson is trying to clean up their reputation.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Steven Friedman
    Steven Friedman
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: October 2, 2019 at 8:48 pm

Kevin

I am interested to learn more about Epson’s explanation on how they have solved clogging issues. I have owned numerous large format printers. Epson would have to prove they have solved their clogging issues for me to consider going back to a Epson printer.

Thanks Steven

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: October 3, 2019 at 12:17 pm

Jim,

I have had conversations with Epson on this and other topics. They tout that clogging issues have been addressed. As you know clogging issues have been one of the issues that haven’t helped Epson over the year. My P800 very seldom has issues. One of the most reliable printers I have ever owned. Time will tell but I believe Epson is trying to clean up their reputation.

My P800 has been fairly clog-free, too, but my sense is that the pro printers, including the 5000, are built for people who print every day.

Jim

Wayne Fox
    Wayne Fox
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: October 3, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Kevin

I am interested to learn more about Epson’s explanation on how they have solved clogging issues. I have owned numerous large format printers. Epson would have to prove they have solved their clogging issues for me to consider going back to a Epson printer.

Thanks Steven

I guess it depends on what you mean by “solve”.  All pigment printers have problems with missing nozzles (most missing nozzles are actually not clogs, but failure of ink to be delivered because of various factors).  Canon and HP manage this issue in the background so the user isn’t even aware of it, but they both consume more ink than people realize, and of course  the head itself is a consumable.  I’ve owned all of them, and they all use ink to keep nozzles operating.

Regarding what they’ve done, the issues with the 4900 were well documented, by far the worse printer Epson has ever made when it comes to this problem.  Personally I think there was an issue either with the ink pressure system (if the the lines don’t maintain pressure when the printer is idle/off, the ink can wick back away from the head allowing air pockets).  It also might have been a capping station issue, I heard they made a stealth update and replaced many capping stations on this printer, or even a failure of the pressure system to keep the ink adequately pressurized.

The good news is the p5000 is substantially improved over the 4900.  I’ve had mine about 2 years, and yes the printer will run a nozzle check and perhaps clean sometimes, but nothing like the 4900.

Still not as good as my p9000 which rarely needs a cleaning.  I am an occasional printer, but when I do print its either several  very large prints, or on the 5000 lots of small prints.  I rarely need to clean the 90o0 (I leave it on most of the time).  I just replaced the maintenance tank on my 2 year old p5000, and am only on my second maintain tank on my almost 4 year old p9000.

I have a p20000 at my store, and with more than double the nozzle count, it seems you increase the likelihood of missing nozzles.  that being said it’s isn’t something we have to do very often. This printer is used every day which helps.

I’ve had every epson since the 9600, and my experience with the 9800/9880 was much different … constant cleaning.  The 9900 was better but, the p9000 is significantly better than that.

To me ink used in cleaning is a maintenance expense, just like changing oil in the compressor, or replacing gears and other parts in my ZBE Chromira (which costs me $600 a month for a maintenance contract and is well worth it).  I estimate my yearly on ink for my 9000 for maintenance is around 40-50ml, based on how long the maintenance tanks last.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Wayne Fox.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.