Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication Read 6458 Times
  • Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Printing Colour Management
    on: September 14, 2022 at 8:54 am

After updating to Mac OSX Monterey 12.6 my Canon PRO-1000 stopped printing correctly with colour management from both Lightroom and Photoshop (the printer does NOT manage colour).  After going through nearly a box of A4 paper I diagnosed that this is particular to the PRO-1000 (my other Canon printer wasn’t affected).  A search of the Canon website revealed that they had secretly updated the printer driver, technical support having told me in person in June that the old printer driver would work fine with Monterey (which it did until the 12.6 update).

Long story short, the old driver was either not accessing the profile/s correctly or was printing with an Absolute Intent.  It was not colour managing.  Updating the driver fixed the problem.

It may be that other printers are similarly affected and you may need to update your printer driver after this update.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication
    Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022 at 9:17 am

Hello Simon, thank you for posting this information. I, like I suppose many others, updated to 12.6 the same day that the notice appeared advising us for security reasons to install it. I know this always bears some risk because adequate coordination between Apple and other developers has been problematic in some respects.  It seems from what say in the instant case that Canon did update their Pro-1000 driver for Monterey 12.6 but either they didn’t advise users it existed, or users wouldn’t have thought to look for it. So your advisory suggests that before printing anything, one should check one’s printer model website for a very recent driver update. And then perhaps print and measure a test page before launching into a big print job.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022 at 3:47 pm

Following up from the foregoing post, I tried using my Epson SC-P5000 printer with Monterey 12.6 and ran into a problem: the printer refused to print the lower 1/3 of the page; this never happened before and the driver is up-to-date (Epson has not issued a new driver version for quite some time). After a couple of pages with no improvement, the solution was to delete the printer, re-add the printer (unfortunately all one’s presets are gone), turn the  computer off and on, turn the printer off and on, make sure there was nothing in the print queue and then relaunch Photoshop to try the same print again. It now prints the whole page. The target colours look OK, however I shall measure them after giving the printed sheet several hours to air-out. For now I do not think there is a colour management issue, but it seems the OS Upgrade did cause some driver disruption which apparently the here-mentioned procedure rectified.

Bottom line: yet another case where an Apple system upgrade causes solvable printing problems. I’m hoping I’m over it for the time being. We’ll see. Do not be surprised if you have print problems after upgrading to Monterey 12.6.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022 at 3:49 pm

I regret to advise that this problem is not resolved. When trying to print from Photoshop and Lightroom with MacOS 12.6, the SC-P5000 shows the printer is on pause and will not print. Deleting and re-adding the printer will let it make one print before the same trouble starts again. When making that one print, the print head hesitates before each pass. The connection to the computer looks fine from all available evidence. I have notified this problem to Epson and no doubt they will be looking into what could be the issue – in particular whether it is local or generic, and if generic, what would be required to fix it. If there are others who own Mac Studio M1 Ultra computers with MacOS 12.6 and printing from this computer set-up to an Epson SC-P5000 printer, it could be useful to diagnostic efforts if you would notify your observations on your printing experience here, and if you are having issues, of course notify Epson ProGraphics Tech Support.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: September 17, 2022 at 2:48 pm

Hi Simon. I have deleted the multiple identical posts within each separate Printer manufacturer’s forum and consolidated things here within Printing Colour Management.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022 at 4:45 am

Hi Chris.

In the spirit of sharing information I initially posted in all three printer forums (Canon, Epson, and HP) as the issue could affect any printer on the Mac OS. I thought that folk would be more likely to read it under the heading of their preferred printer manufacturer.

As you will read from Mark Segal’s posts the issues created by the upgrade are about more than just colour management so I am not sure the thread really belongs under Printing Colour Management any longer ?

Have you considered combining all the printing related forums under one heading of, say, Printer and Printing ?  I’m just wondering whether it would make sharing topics easier.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: September 24, 2022 at 9:42 am

Colour management is a broader topic than printing, so I think it deserves a stand-alone forum, but I see no harm posting about printer colour management issues in either place, because they can fit either.

As for “my problem” (I put in quotes because it’s not really “my” problem – it’s an Apple-Epson coordination problem that is affecting me and likely others), it does more appropriately belong under printing. I may well open a new thread about this issue in the Epson printer forum because it is far from solved and I have additional information about it stemming from discussions with tech support and my own research aimed at eliminating possible causes, but before doing that, I think it appropriate to give the parties a bit more time to get it fixed. I don’t know how many others have been affected by it, but should be more than me, insofar as there is nothing exotic about the set-up here: it’s vanilla Monterey 12.6 trying to communicate with a vanilla installation of Epson Driver 10.91 and I typically keep open applications to the bare minimum, nothing squirrely, but it just isn’t functional.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: September 24, 2022 at 9:48 am

Mark, this must be very frustrating !

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: September 24, 2022 at 9:56 am

This is only the latest of several frustrations using this printer with the new Apple Studio M1 Ultra. The first one was the inability of the printer to communicate with the computer using a USB2 cable. That has been possible forever, but no longer. The fix was to connect via Ethernet, which worked fine till Monterey 12.6. Then we discovered that sending 16-bit images to print with this set-up totally messed colour management – the results were awful. That got fixed by unchecking the 16-bit box in the Epson driver. Now there is this new problem of the printer simply failing to print properly at all. So far this roll-out has been “difficult”. I did string together a work-around, however, using another computer, on Big Sur, which works fine with all the same software, same printer, except for the difference of OS version. But it is additional steps and wasted time that should not be necessary in the first place.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: September 24, 2022 at 11:44 am

I know you have your doubts about using WiFi (NOT AirPrint), but does your Epson printer support that ?  I’ve been using WiFi to connect to my Canon PRO-100 and it works very well.  I still get all the necessary features in the printer driver but the connection to the printer is wireless.  The added advantage with the Canon is that I can access all its settings via a web browser.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: September 24, 2022 at 11:56 am

I use whatever is available and proven to work well. For example, I am using WIFI for my little Epson Ecotank T-2760 office printer, which before the Mac Studio computer was connected by USB cable, but that is no longer an option with the new computer (fails to communicate) so I use WIFI and it’s fine. The SC-P5000 is a different animal altogether. It does not support WIFI. One has the choice of either Ethernet or USB2 (pre Mac Studio – now only Ethernet). This model predates the Canon Pro-1000 and is primarily purposed to a different kind of usage. But of course, As The World Turns (remember that 54-year enduring American soap opera?), it needs a cooperating hardware and software environment beyond the printer to perform as its designers intended.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Mark D Segal.
    Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: September 24, 2022 at 11:59 am

No issues with 12.6 and a VERY old 3880, either printing or with color management. Not an M1 FWIW.

The output exactly matches printed from Photoshop to that printed out of Lightroom Classic.

Do not use 16-bit check box; broken as it was in the past and doesn’t do anything useful when it wasn’t broken.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.