Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication

Viewing 7 posts - 13 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication Read 1687 Times
  • Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication
    on: September 24, 2022 at 12:04 pm

We all need your magic touch, Andrew !!

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Monterey 12.6 Update May Break Printing Colour Management & Communication
    Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022 at 1:56 pm

The colour management using 8-bit is fine with my environment as well. I just wish it would print.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022 at 2:00 pm

We all need your magic touch, Andrew !!

The only “magic” I see here Simon is that Andrew hasn’t gone to the bleeding edge with upgrading, so he has evaded some issues that may otherwise befall even him too 🙂

I have no regrets about upgrading the computer – working with this new technology, except for printing, is like night and day, having upgraded from a mid-2010 MacPro. It also enabled a bunch of software upgrades with neat features I simply was unable to access unless I changed the hardware.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: September 26, 2022 at 6:36 am

Previously, under High Sierra, the Print Queue window would usefully tell you how many pages there were in a print job and how many there were left to print.  This seems to have disappeared in Monterey.  In all the Monterey updates I’m not I’m not sure at what point this vanished but I think early-on the Print Queue was giving this information.  So clearly something has changed in the way printers exchange information.

This is true with both AirPrint and through the Canon driver.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: September 26, 2022 at 8:59 am

Over the years Apple has been making substantial changes to how its operating system processes print jobs up to where the printer driver takes over. It’s not clear to me that there has been sufficient cooperation between Apple and the printer manufacturers to assure a smooth transition from one MacOs version to another for all the major printers that are still current and still need to function properly.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022 at 1:51 pm

This is only the latest of several frustrations using this printer with the new Apple Studio M1 Ultra. The first one was the inability of the printer to communicate with the computer using a USB2 cable. That has been possible forever, but no longer. The fix was to connect via Ethernet, which worked fine till Monterey 12.6. Then we discovered that sending 16-bit images to print with this set-up totally messed colour management – the results were awful. That got fixed by unchecking the 16-bit box in the Epson driver. Now there is this new problem of the printer simply failing to print properly at all. So far this roll-out has been “difficult”. I did string together a work-around, however, using another computer, on Big Sur, which works fine with all the same software, same printer, except for the difference of OS version. But it is additional steps and wasted time that should not be necessary in the first place.

Sorry – not 26-bit – rather 16-bit in Reply #8, third line.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: September 28, 2022 at 9:24 am

A continuation of this discussion continues within this Forum’s Epson sub-forum

Viewing 7 posts - 13 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.