Intro To Imageprint

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Intro To Imageprint Read 7151 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: January 30, 2022 at 4:54 pm

I published our newest article on printing today.  You can view Introduction To Imageprint by clicking HERE.

Feel free to discuss this article below, especially if you have any questions.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Robert-Peter Westphal
    Robert-Peter Westphal
    Participant
    Re: Intro To Imageprint
    Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022 at 9:52 am

Hello,

first of all, I want to thank Kevin for this very interesting video series on printing ( although for me as an Canon Pro-1000 owner it is a little bit too much on Epson printer ) !

To come to ImagePrint, as much as I try,I cannot find any advantages in using ImagePrint compared to LrC printing that would justify the money to be spent for this program. Everything which was shown in this video can also be done in LrC printing module. Ok, In some case you will have to do 2 clicks in LrC where it is just one click in ImagePrint, but in the end I cannot justify the money for this program.

I hope for many more interesting videos on this topic !

BR Robert

Best regards Robert
    Want to see more of me, watch my images at https://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022 at 10:38 am

I understand and there are alternatives.  In a future episode, we cover the Epson Print Layout app and it is amazing and does a great job.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with Canon printers.

You can do everything you speak of in LR too.  In my opinion, it is more difficult but that is one’s own view.  It also doesn’t fit into my workflow since I use Capture One.  We will show how to print out of Lightroom in a video done by Jeff Schewe in a future episode.  There are 15 videos in this series with more being made.

Imageprint is all about profiles and the way IP controls the printers (Epson and Canon).  There are many benefits especially if you do as much printing as I do.  The Spooler Log and BW features which we show in another episode too. Also, the Cut It Out module for automated cutting is kick-ass.  So stay tuned.

Since there are other methods of printing we will show them.  I think you’ll like what you see.

Also, we will be doing a whole series on the Canon printers.  I have two Canon printers and we will do a whole set of videos on these too.

We will also be offering a three day workshop in our PXL classroom where you can see everything and try everything.  Maybe you can visit for that.  Dates will be announced as soon as we feel it is COVID Safe.

So, stay tuned, a lot more is coming and there is some pretty good stuff.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022 at 11:16 am

Indeed Robert, the LR print module and sharpening workflow are IMHO worth the price of admission alone if you are using the rest of LR for your DAM and raw processing.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022 at 11:17 am

Imageprint is all about profiles and the way IP controls the printers (Epson and Canon).

If that is the case, then thanks, I have zero need for it. I prefer my custom profiles.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Robert-Peter Westphal
    Robert-Peter Westphal
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022 at 12:27 pm

I understand and there are alternatives.  In a future episode, we cover the Epson Print Layout app and it is amazing and does a great job.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t work with Canon printers.

You can do everything you speak of in LR too.  In my opinion, it is more difficult but that is one’s own view.  It also doesn’t fit into my workflow since I use Capture One.  We will show how to print out of Lightroom in a video done by Jeff Schewe in a future episode.  There are 15 videos in this series with more being made.

Imageprint is all about profiles and the way IP controls the printers (Epson and Canon).  There are many benefits especially if you do as much printing as I do.  The Spooler Log and BW features which we show in another episode too. Also, the Cut It Out module for automated cutting is kick-ass.  So stay tuned.

Since there are other methods of printing we will show them.  I think you’ll like what you see.

Also, we will be doing a whole series on the Canon printers.  I have two Canon printers and we will do a whole set of videos on these too.

We will also be offering a three day workshop in our PXL classroom where you can see everything and try everything.  Maybe you can visit for that.  Dates will be announced as soon as we feel it is COVID Safe.

So, stay tuned, a lot more is coming and there is some pretty good stuff.

Hello Kevin,

thank you for your quick and honest answer !

To be honest on my side, I’m not sure which way Adobe is going to go with LrC, and therefor I took the opportunity to buy a heavily 50% reduced license of Capture One 22. And I will have to admit, if this is the only software you have, it is hard to do a good print out of CO 22, so I understand that you are using ImagePrint for your whole printing.

Am I right that the profiles IP offers for printing on a certain paper are canned profiles which are based on your printer type, but not on your own printer ?

I’m looking forward to see the other parts this very interesting and recommended video tutorial. And, many thanks for your invitation to your workshop, but I think I don’t have the opportunities to trade from Europe to USA I fear.

Best wishes Robert

Best regards Robert
    Want to see more of me, watch my images at https://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com

Robert-Peter Westphal
    Robert-Peter Westphal
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022 at 12:32 pm

Indeed Robert, the LR print module and sharpening workflow are IMHO worth the price of admission alone if you are using the rest of LR for your DAM and raw processing.

Hello Andrew,

thank you for your remark – this is exactly the way I also think about LrC. Let have our fingers crossed that LrC will live in future endnote be replaced by Lr  ( the cloud based version ) !

BR Robert

Best regards Robert

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022 at 12:36 pm

We went over this in another post but the facts are simple: a custom profile is one where you the end user, output a target from your printer and a profile is generated from those measurements.

A canned (not a custom) profile is one supplied to you. How many patches, made on how many printers of the same kind and averaged (how averaged?), on what Spectrophotometer and software package (with what settings?) is unknown to the user. Unless this is described.

IP profiles are canned unless of course they are custom which is possible.

There is nothing wrong per se with a canned profile. Not all profiles are created equally, custom or canned. There is a video for that too:

Not all ICC profiles are created equally
    In this 23 minute video, I’ll cover:
    The basic anatomy of ICC Profiles
    Why there are differences in profile quality and color rendering
    How to evaluate an ICC output profile
    Examples of good and not so good canned profiles and custom profiles on actual printed output.

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Not_All_Profiles_are_created_equally.mp4
    Low resolution (YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdR_tIFMME&feature=youtu.be

Robert-Peter Westphal
    Robert-Peter Westphal
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022 at 12:38 pm

We will show how to print out of Lightroom in a video done by Jeff Schewe in a future episode.

And, last but not least, I’m looking forward to get a new video Jeff introducing LrC. It’s a great joy to take part of his big knowledge !

BR Robert

Best regards Robert

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: February 1, 2022 at 9:39 am

I’ve been using ImagePrint on and off for several years. Previously on an Epson 7900, now on a Canon 4100. My workflow is a hybrid between C1 and LR. My master catalog is in LR, but my images start out in C1. I have LR, ImagePrint and Qimage One at my disposal and use all three tools depending on what and why I’m printing. I wavered back and forth on whether to upgrade my IP Black license to 44″ when I got the Canon, but ultimately did get the license. Why:

• ImagePrint has some workflow advantages (speed) when doing repetitive printing. For example, when printing things like Folio images 2 or 4-up on a 17×22 sheet with crop marks, the layout tools make life so much easier. You can print crop marks in LR, but the controls are very crude and it doesn’t give me the options I need for positioning. Christmas cards are another application. Kevin prints a lot of small images for those tin boxes, etc. I’m with him for for situations like that.
    • I have a few standard papers I use: Canson Infinity Baryta Prestige, Epson Legacy Fiber, HFA Baryta Satin. I had Andrew create custom profiles for me on those standard papers. When printing one-off images using those standard papers, I’ve settled on Qimage One (Mac) using Andrew’s wonderful custom profiles. Qimage One has what appears to me to be excellent output sharpening. The combination of Andrew’s profiles, the limited but effective layout options / interface in Qimage One and a low cost of entry is a very compelling option that outputs the best prints I am able to produce. But, when it comes to working outside of those standard papers, I find the results I get out of ImagePrint, especially matte papers, to be > 98% of what I get using the best custom profiles in a fraction of the time. Something I can see on close inspection, but most viewers will never notice.
    • The B&W narrow gamut process is highly controllable and easy to use. LR’s split toning can get similar results, but the controls have much less customization.

Does that make it worth the price of admission? Highly debatable. It does for me, but it wasn’t an obvious easy decision when I upgraded to a 44″ license. And, I knew exactly what ImagePrint offered when I upgraded because I had been using it for many years with my 7900. If someone requests a print with a particular paper texture, I am thankful to have ImagePrint available to make that print. If I’m making 20 different large prints for an office, it will be Qimage One. A batch of folios, ImagePrint every time.

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by Dave Chew.
    Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #10 on: February 1, 2022 at 6:26 pm

Hi Dave

I am uncertain as to the reason, but WordPress in its limited wisdom decided that your post (and subsequent re-post) was spam. I have restored it to legitimacy.
    Apologies.

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: February 1, 2022 at 8:08 pm

Hi Dave

I am uncertain as to the reason, but WordPress in its limited wisdom decided that your post (and subsequent re-post) was spam. I have restored it to legitimacy.
    Apologies.

Thank you, Chris. I wonder if it was because I went to make an edit almost immediately after posting. Maybe it thought I was a robot.
    Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.