Filter Failed issue

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 85 through 96 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Filter Failed issue Read 86533 Times
  • Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Filter Failed issue
    on: October 29, 2020 at 7:49 pm

I am just now learning my way around CUPS… but I plan to copy the old (2017) version into the same location in my new installation and see if that one change matters.  The best way to diagnose these things is swap one component at a time.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Filter Failed issue
    Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020 at 7:56 pm

True – good methodology – as long as you know what to swap out and can keep track of what to swap back in! Please keep us informed of your findings. For a time, I thought the problem was due to software upgrades affecting High Sierra and the 2020 Adobe Photography package, but when it also surfaced on my laptop using El Capitan and 2018 versions of Adobe software a few days ago (after my article was published), I became less attracted to that idea.

Pekka Riikonen
    Pekka Riikonen
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020 at 10:10 am

Mark,

It doesn’t actually require external network connection at all.  Your computer has its own little local network.  That’s the ‘localhost’.  It has an IP address of 127.0.0.1.  All computers have that same address.  And that’s where the CUPS is listening, and of course that’s were the CUPS web admin interface runs as well…

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020 at 10:15 am

Mark,

It doesn’t actually require external network connection at all.  Your computer has its own little local network.  That’s the ‘localhost’.  It has an IP address of 127.0.0.1.  All computers have that same address.  And that’s where the CUPS is listening, and of course that’s were the CUPS web admin interface runs as well…

Thanks for that clarification – much appreciated.

Pekka Riikonen
    Pekka Riikonen
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020 at 11:51 am

It does complicate the printing of course as it has to go through a network connection.  Large files might be more of a problem than small files.  But the logs didn’t show any network related errors so…  Maybe try enabling the more verbose debugs…

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020 at 11:54 am

Thanks Pekka – I intend to do that as soon as I can get back to the P5000 – likely over the weekend. I’ll report back any findings/logs that could be of interest.

Charles Charles
    Charles Charles
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: November 1, 2020 at 8:23 pm

Is this worth consideration for a workaround? Make a .tif of the image converted from the working color space with the paper/printer profile. Set the printer to No Color Adjustment and send the file.

Mark, you don’t like to make a .tif. Understood. But it may be less trouble to make, use, and delete a temporary .tif than to go through the other motions.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: November 1, 2020 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Charles, but I doubt the file format is the issue as several have failed. In any event, when one prints from Lightroom, the application creates a temporarily fully rendered file under the hood for sending to the printer. CUPS converts this data to a format the printer is supposed to be able to work with. The main point of the workaround was to easily get Lightroom-compatible files over to the other computer for printing, but even that one failed after a couple of weeks. So the P5000 isn’t printing no matter what I throw at it. Once I finish with some p900 testing while that set-up works, I shall get into some debugging of the P5000 hoping that will allow those who can read those logs see what’s going on.

Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Epson has released a new driver for P7000-P9000 dated yesterday, 11/11/2020.  We’ll see if that helps!

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020 at 7:04 pm

Epson has released a new driver for P7000-P9000 dated yesterday, 11/11/2020.  We’ll see if that helps!

Good. Please let us know whether it solves the problem for your printer. That could be important information.

I have had to interrupt work on this matter for the time being to get going on my SC-P900 review, which is in the works. Interestingly, the P900 is working off the same computer, same OS, etc. as the P5000 and the P900 works fine (so far) while the P5000 does not.

I have now established the necessary contacts in 3 companies, started working on filter fail with one, and am preparing to engage further with the other two. I shall keep readers advised of how this proceeds as and when anything of importance emerges.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020 at 5:37 pm

I have a minor update.

To remind, I have two systems set-up. (1) MacPro connected to an Epson SC-P900 now being tested and reviewed, and (2) a MacBook Pro connected to an SC-P5000. Fortunately, the MacPro/P900 hook-up has been working fine and keeping fingers crossed, except when typing, eating or brushing my teeth, etc. that it holds up. The MacBookPro/P5000 hook-up was working until it failed a few weeks ago (Filter Failure). I left it alone for a couple of weeks but needed to run some ink and paper through it for maintenance so I had to tackle it. I started it up today, let it auto-clean, and tried to make a print. It “filter-failed”. So I implemented Andrew’s “Epson Enema”. This enema solved that problem, but I know from experience that this is temporary. However, at least for the time being I have that route to printing re-established, so I can revert to sending files from the desktop to the laptop for printing with the P5000. I shall not do this for the time being with the MacPro because I want to leave well enough alone with the Sc-P900 until I finish testing it. In case it may be useful to other readers, I recommend using the Epson Enema when all else fails to cure the problem. The steps, from a previous post of Andrew’s are as follows:

1. Delete all Epson printers from System>Preferences>Print and Fax.

2. Go to HDx (system drive)>Library>Printers and trash the whole Epson folder.

3. Trash the LFP Remote Panel if installed.

4. Download the correct Epson printer driver from the Epson website, install it, and re-add the printer in System>Preferences>Print and Fax.

More permanent solutions still to come – let us all hope. I’m in contact with several companies on it.

Mark

Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Mark:

Since you administered the enema, this implies that you installed the Epson driver dated 11/11/2020?  So the fix might endure!

Viewing 12 posts - 85 through 96 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.