Sony Introduces The FE 35mm F1.8 Lightweight Prime
Sony is on a roll. Once again, I am publishing the news of a new Sony prime lens. Sony seems to be announcing new lenses at a fast clip. This new 35mm prime lens matches well with the 50mm and 85mm lenses that are already available. I’ll report more on this lens after I have had a chance to try it out. The list of lenses from Sony to try is getting long. So, we will try to give thme a work out over the coming weeks.
SAN DIEGO — July 9, 2019 — Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the latest addition to its E-mount full-frame lens line-up with the introduction of the FE 35mm F1.8 wide-angle prime lens, model SEL35F18F.
The compact dimensions and lightweight of this full-frame, large-aperture lens provide mobility and convenience for shooting a wide range of subjects, such as everyday snapshots, food photography, landscapes, night scenes and more. The new lens provides outstanding corner-to-corner image quality, while its quiet autofocus and tenacious tracking performance make it a great choice for both stills and movie shooting. Additionally, its compact form makes it an appealing choice for both APS-C body users, offering a 52.5mm equivalent focal length on APS-C cameras.
“Our E-mount lens lineup now includes 34 full-frame models and 52 lenses in total,” said Neal Manowitz, deputy president of Imaging Products and Solutions Americas at Sony Electronics. “The new 35mm prime combines outstanding corner-to-corner sharpness with a compact design, making it an ideal choice for a wide range of shooters. Sony will continue to develop and expand its imaging lineup, giving creators more options than ever before to realize their vision.”
High-resolution and large-aperture, full-frame performance in compact and lightweight lens
- Large F1.8 maximum aperture, weighing in at just 280 grams and measuring 65.6 mm (diameter) by 73.0mm (length); this new lens sets a new standard for portability
- Advanced optical construction, including an aspherical element to suppress aberration and deliver high resolution throughout the entire image frame; 9-blade circular aperture enhances beautiful bokeh
- Minimum focus distance of 0.22m and maximum magnification of 0.24x offer easy access to the world of close-up photography
Versatile control and handling for a wide range of imaging needs
- Conveniently placed, customizable focus hold button and a focus mode switch for instantaneous switching between auto and manual focus
- Linear Response Manual Focus for fine, responsive manual focus control
- Dust- and moisture-resistant design add to the versatility and reliability of this new lens and invoke a feeling of confidence in the user
Quiet AF with excellent tracking for movies as well as stills
- Fast, precise and quiet linear-motor AF drive system for both stills and continuous focus control
Pricing and Availability
The FE 35mm F1.8 will ship in August 2019 for approximately $750 US and $800 CA and will be sold at a variety of Sony’s authorized dealers throughout North America.
A variety of exclusive stories and exciting new content shot with the new lens and Sony’s other imaging products can be found at www.alphauniverse.com, a site created to educate and inspire all fans and customers of Sony’s α – Alpha brand.
Availabe to order at B&H Photo
Photography is my passion and has been for 47 plus years. My career in photography has allowed me to travel the world, meet some of the most interesting people on the planet and see things I could never have dreamed of. My goal is to share the passion of pictures taking through photographs and teaching with as many people as I can hoping it brings them as much joy and happiness as it has me. I do this through photoPXL.com, this site as well as Rockhopper Workshops and other projects as well as teaching at my Gallery in Indianapolis.