Too Much Photo Gear – GAS

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Too Much Photo Gear – GAS Read 24098 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: May 20, 2020 at 1:13 pm

during this Pandandemic, I have been working on a number of projects.  I finally finished one of those and that was going through all my old gear and getting rid of or selling gear that I wasn’t ever going to use.  Read my story on GAS – Gear Acquisition Syndrome or Gather and Accumulate Shit.  You can find the article HERE.

Some of the greatest that I sold

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Too Much Photo Gear – GAS
    Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020 at 1:45 pm

WOW – that is indeed a “pile of stuff”! 🙂

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020 at 2:09 pm

Yep, who would have known.  I have another box of a lot of misc. crap to take down on the next trip. Man, what’s wrong with me?

Kevin Raber

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020 at 2:24 pm

The big question is, “Whatever will you do with all that space?” 🙂

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020 at 2:25 pm

As you can see in the photos space is still pretty much filled up.  If I get rid of the camera bags I’ll have all sorts of space.  I may need another go-round of therapy in the future.

Kevin Raber

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Is all I can say is OMG!!

Stuart Schaefer
    Stuart Schaefer
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Kevin, You have defiantly collected a lot of equipment over the years. But I will say your office space does look cool.  Cheers!

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020 at 6:47 pm

Kevin,

If I were your GASA sponsor I would be quite alarmed by your comment that you took a Roberts credit instead of cash. This shows you’re still a gearaholic. You should have taken that as cash and given it to Debra to keep you safe.

I fear for you man. Fortunately I can quit buying gear whenever I want to. No GAS for me. I mean, I need five Fuji bodies.

Paul

Jonathan Sachs
    Jonathan Sachs
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020 at 6:56 pm

Kevin,

As a fellow victim of GAS, I feel your pain. While lenses hold their value and work with updated bodies, I think it’s smart to sell old backup bodies as soon as you upgrade.

Before you get rid of your A7RII however, consider having it converted to shoot IR. I had Monochrome Imaging Systems do this for me about a year ago and have been overjoyed with the results (see attached). If you get a clip-in IR filter from STC, you can use the converted body with any of your lenses without needing IR pass filters for each one.

Jonathan Sachs
    Digital Light & Color
    www.dl-c.com

Steve Baczewski
    Steve Baczewski
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020 at 8:27 pm

Your family has been through a lot. Sorry about your father in law but glad to hear about Debra’s resilience and also your reflection on what’s important for your life going forward. I imagine lightening your world of equipment is a result of all you’ve been through. Good article

Dan Araujo
    Dan Araujo
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020 at 10:07 pm

I lost my sister to brain cancer in early 2017.  She was single so the task of clearing out her house fell to the family.  I had the same realization you speak of regarding all the stuff we accumulate along the way.  I’m (very) gradually getting rid of my own excess stuff now.  You seem to be doing better at that!  I’m trying to be more conscious of what I buy and whether I really need it.  I find it easier to not bring new stuff in than move stuff out.  A side benefit is less garbage going into the environment.

Dan
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/daraujo

Hugh Sakols
    Hugh Sakols
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020 at 10:06 am

OK now I don’t feel so bad.  I think we all admire your man cave.  So you’re done with micro four thirds?  I guess the Fuji isn’t much larger.  I see you have kept your old Nikonos.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.