The Epson ET-8550 Printer Review

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The Epson ET-8550 Printer Review Read 1452 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Epson Printers
    on: August 1, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Finally, I. have been able to finish the review on the new amazing ET-8550 Printer from Epson.  This s a printer that uses ink tanks and not ink cartridges.  It costs around $700 USD  and boy is it fun and amazingly good.  You can find the article/review with a video HERE

The epson ET-8550 Printer

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Re: The Epson ET-8550 Printer Review
    Reply #1 on: August 1, 2021 at 8:01 pm

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the review and video………………your enthusiasm shines through in regard to ‘just get printing’ 🙂

Can I ask, did you get try any non Epson papers where as I understand it the most benefit in regard to the quality of the print will come from creating a paper profile of the Epson inks with the chosen paper(s)?

Oh, by the way I note in the text of the review you say the ET-8550 is a dye printer but I understand it has two black inks i.e. dye & pigment and one of your printer testing counterparts (Keith Cooper a UK based commercial photographer) had determined that (as far as I recall) with some prints both the Dye & the Pigment blacks are laid down.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: August 1, 2021 at 8:59 pm

For the most part, Is stayed with Epson Papers.  Like I said you can use the Epson Media installer to add third-party papers.  On my P700 I. have profiles added for Hanhumule and Canson.  Using the Media Installer can be somewhat tricky but there are some good videos out there explaining how to do so.  I am not sure how much I will print on other papers on the ET-8550.  I kind of reserve the fine art papers for the pigment-based printers I have.

All the inks are dye-based inks but they include one pigment black and one dye black.  It is clearly visible in the illustration of the ink bottles in the article.  I know that in many cases both inks are used but I don’t know how it is determined which one is used and why.  Something I can ask about later this week when I have a scheduled call with Epson.

Kevin Raber

L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: August 2, 2021 at 11:44 am

Hi Kevin

It would be interesting to learn what your Epson contact has to say about the usage of both the Dye & Pigment blacks re: “I know that in many cases both inks are used but I don’t know how it is determined which one is used and why.  Something I can ask about later this week when I have a scheduled call with Epson”

TIA 🙂

Alessandro Bi
    Alessandro Bi
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 2, 2021 at 2:29 pm

Hi Kevin, thank you for the Epson ET-8550 printer review.

I remember your great article about the Epson PictureMate PM-400. How do you compare the prints from the ET8550 vs. the PM-400? Would you keep them both, or does the ET8550 make the PM-400 obsolete and/or not necessary?

Thank you
    Alessandro

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 3, 2021 at 10:43 am

These are 2 different types of printers.  The PictureMate does up to 5×7 only and uses cartridges that run out pretty quick.  The ET-8550 does up to 13×19 with. I’d choose the ET-8550 because of the quality and various sizes and working with Epson Print Layout.  I  will be keeping the Picturemate online though.

Kevin Raber

David Sauro
    David Sauro
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Hi,Kevin

Thanks for the great review and information

I just purchased the ET-8500 based on your recommendation and love it!

Have you printed greeting cards by chance?

If so, what has been your best experience from a paper perspective, and any thoughts or recommendations for paper, settings, etc?

I have just purchased the Hahnemuhle 4×6 Barth, but looking for scored paper for 5X7.

appreciate your guidance

david

L Berle
    L Berle
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021 at 9:18 am

Hi,Kevin

Thanks for the great review and information

I just purchased the ET-8500 based on your recommendation and love it!

Have you printed greeting cards by chance?

If so, what has been your best experience from a paper perspective, and any thoughts or recommendations for paper, settings, etc?

I have just purchased the Hahnemuhle 4×6 Barth, but looking for scored paper for 5X7.

appreciate your guidance

david

Another review was done by the UK based Keith Cooper and he has recently added his extra mini review about making greetings cards on it, so though he refers to UK sourced printable cards papers you may find some relevance in his information

ET 8550 greeting cards – using different types of card and how they affect quality – YouTube

I have removed the live/embedded linkage (only text left) but if you highlight and search it will take you ‘there’ in the search list.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by L Berle.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by L Berle.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021 at 12:44 pm

I printed cards on plain photo paper to try them out and they worked fine.  As far as the paper goes I’ll need to do some research for some.  I know there is a bunch out there.  I’ll try to reply back again within a day.

Kevin Raber

john swain
    john swain
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: September 6, 2021 at 2:57 pm

Thanks for doing the review, between you and Keith Coopers reviews and videos it seemed

like this was the last step in completing the circle of  photo capture, processing, and finally

printing …. so i bought it.

I missed seeing my pictures live, as print outs,  unlike when i did darkroom processing.

So far the new littler brother, 8500 printer,  has worked wonderfully and drama free.

Probably the nicest part is not cringing whenever i print and having to think about how much this

test/proof/final print is going to ultimately cost due to the ecotank capacity and refill cost.

i’m using the back-top feed to avoid jams, just discovered the epson ABW utility and

excited to learn and use more(almost like using contrast filters or VC papers).

As you noted it was rock solid to install and configure, amazing stuff to me.

thanks for review and inspiration to close the circle, john s.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: September 6, 2021 at 7:12 pm

So happy for you.  Printing is my passion.  To know someone else is enjoying it means a lot.  In the next week or so I’ll share a video about our new studio and teaching space focused on fine art printing.  Stay tuned.

Kevin Raber

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.