Should I or Shouldn’t I Update Mac OS

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Should I or Shouldn’t I Update Mac OS Read 2775 Times
  • George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: July 12, 2023 at 5:33 pm

I’m currently running Monterey 12.6.5 on the Mac Studio and have zero issues (other than user errors)  with printing on the P900.

I’d like to upgrade to the latest OS Ventura 13.4 but I’m afraid that will cause hours of trouble shooting?

Hoping the experts here might tell me what issues I’ll have to deal with or have all issues been fixed by now?

Cheers

George

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Should I or Shouldn’t I Update Mac OS
    Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023 at 11:14 pm

I’m informed that Adobe Color Print Utility is broken by Ventura. If you make profiling targets using this utility then Ventura would be a non-starter until compatibility is restored. My general rule of thumb is don’t upgrade unless there is a compelling reason for it. There is always aggravation.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023 at 9:41 am

The upgrade was relatively painless for printing on the P600. I have had intermittent communication issues with the printer using wi-fi – easily solved by a printer re-boot. Likely better yet would be a cable but I love the convenience of wi-fi.

The only other comment I would make is that Ventura illustrates Apple’s bent for hiding things technical. One has to re-learn the access for various controls now buried in the massive System Settings. I fear that continued development of the Mac OS in this direction will eventually lead to inaccessibility.

Chris Kern
    Chris Kern
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023 at 11:15 am

The upgrade was relatively painless for printing on the P600. I have had intermittent communication issues with the printer using wi-fi – easily solved by a printer re-boot. Likely better yet would be a cable but I love the convenience of wi-fi.

The only other comment I would make is that Ventura illustrates Apple’s bent for hiding things technical. One has to re-learn the access for various controls now buried in the massive System Settings. I fear that continued development of the Mac OS in this direction will eventually lead to inaccessibility.

Couldn’t agree more regarding Apple’s penchant for ever-increasing user agent churn.  In particular, I can’t begin to understand the rationale for the redesign of the System Settings hierarchy.  It seems more like change for the sake of change—almost as though Apple is trying to make it more difficult rather than easier for MacOS users to adjust parameters to their preferences.  There was a time when Apple’s system programmers emphasized enhancing performance and reliability when launching a new release rather than fiddling with what the user sees on the screen.  They have now reversed course: each new rev introduces a new “look” and seems not to have been sufficiently Alpha and Beta tested prior to unleashing it on the customers.

───────────────────────
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriskernpix/albums/72177720314899467

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023 at 2:09 pm

Adobe Color Print Utility is not broken on Ventura for me. The ColorSync utility works as well:
    http://digitaldog.net/files/PrintingTargetsCSUtility.pdf

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023 at 2:20 pm

Good to hear that Andrew. I heard the opposite from a person in the industry who also does this for a living, so I thought it was reliable information, but could be some kind of glitch in his system that is not on yours. So we’ll take it that it’s operable.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023 at 4:04 pm

I have between the studio and home 8 macs and all of them have been upgraded and there doesn’t seem to be any issues.  Three of the machines are dedicated to running Canon and Epson printers.  I have had no isses with the OS and anything printed related.  I should also mention that I use Imageprint in two locations and it works fine too.

The OS is different than the previous OS verisons and the layout of the system preferences has changed a lot. I find I have to search for things now that were a lot easier to find previously.  If I get stumped I google it and soultions show up.

I usually jump,in pretty quick on new OS.  I try it on a couple of machines and then upgrade from there.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023 at 2:06 am

You wrote: I’d like to upgrade to the latest OS Ventura 13.4 but I’m afraid that will cause hours of trouble shooting?

Why?

Just understand that Ventura can cause a lot of problems with apps & external peripherals. Do you have a 2nd machine you can upgrade to help ease into Ventura?

I upgraded my M1 MacBook Pro…had issues which I was able to work out but did NOT upgrade the Mac Studio…yet…For my main workstations I always wait until at least a .4 or .5 dot release and even then I’m very, very cautious.

So, why? If it’s workin’ and you have no compelling requirement, I would be slow to make the jump.

Oh, and on the laptop, it’s fine, but I hate the UI…

Just sayin’

🤡

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023 at 8:53 am

I think this thread should be a wake-up call for Apple Computer Inc.to understand that there is value to continuity when what’s there “just works” as they themselves like to say and there is little or no value-added changing it. Perhaps they should save upgrades for serious operational improvements that make them worthwhile and then preserve an easy flight-path from one version to the next by disturbing as little acquired practice as absolutely necessary?

All that said, they do produce marvelous technology that really works. The MacStudio and its Monterey operating system have hit the sweet spot for me in speed, footprint and overall usability, so I shall not upgrade to Ventura or beyond until I see a compelling need for it. That will happen when software comes out that has features I really want and Monterey cannot support. I expect within the next couple of years I shall have to face the music, but we’ll see.

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023 at 9:45 pm

First I want to thank folks for their input and warnings…..I should have listened to Jeff and Mark….

After a few glasses of wine the other night … I decided to go for it and now I’m paying the price… ha…..  Nobody’s fault but my own.. or the wine?

My printing link between Lightroom and P900 now has lots of issues including errors I’ve never seen before…

I can deal with the new printing UI but it seems it does not remember the settings once I adjust them… When I set Media type, Quality settings, etc it seems to loose them regardless of saving then or not…. Oh… well I won’t bore you with all my issues… It’ll give me something to work on this week.

For those considering this move just beware!!…Again thanks  for your time and input… Next time I’ll listen better ha… I really  thought since Apple was so close to releasing the next OS “Sonoma”  that most of the Ventura issues would have been worked out by now….. Wrong!

Cheers George

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023 at 9:58 pm

Let’s blame it on the wine – why not? 🙂 (What vintage btw?)  🙂

On a more serious note, sorry you’re having issues. It would be good if you could carry on documenting your experience – specifically the things that don’t work any longer and what fixes you are finding for them as you do. Could be very helpful to others contemplating the same fate.

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023 at 4:28 pm

Update:

First off I uninstalled Epson driver and downloaded from Epson  and re installed P900 driver for Mac 13.x…and rebooted. (not sure I really had to do all of that)

I found that if I went to print settings in LR which opens the Epson Print Que… then “printer options” then “printer settings”…  Set the Presets to None or Default…then made all my selections… Media Type, Quality, ETC  and then click on the Save button. I could print with those settings repeatedly with no issues… BUT if I tried to save those settings as a new Pre-Set  in the Epson Que then I would loose all the settings and start over again…. I found that in my case I could not save Printing Pre-sets.in the Epson Que.. If I just left Presets at default or none then the Epson Que would keep the current setting for repeated use… (hope I make some sense)

The most important thing I’d like to mention (again in my case) I ran across a discussion in Adobe Support Community where Mr Rodney was participating and the discussion indicated that  if I saved my current  print settings for my various media in Lightroom Printing Template section then  I don’t have to worry as much about constantly working my way back to the Epson Que to reset  all the printing parameters again and again… (Using LR as the Pre-set manager rather than Epson) though I do re-check the Epson Que to make sure all is well before I click the print button.

I’m running into various hiccups with other applications during this adventure but for now printing seems to be working!

Hope I was somewhat clear… I’m sure I’ll be corrected if not..heh

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.