New Article Published – Western Mountain Landscape Photography

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: New Article Published – Western Mountain Landscape Photography Read 934 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: July 28, 2019 at 6:38 pm

I have always loved Harvey Stearn’s articles on photography and today he’s back with his adventures, thoughts and especially wonderful images of the Rockies. You can read it HERE 

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Alan Goldhammer
    Alan Goldhammer
    Silver Member
    Re: New Article Published – Western Mountain Landscape Photography
    Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019 at 7:38 pm

There is an erroneous caption in the Lake Louise image.  The text states that the next image is one of the iconic views of Lake Louise and that’s correct.  We were there in late June and I have a similar image, albeit on a cloudier day.  The caption states that this is a picture of Mt. Rundle right near Banff which is incorrect.

Alan

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019 at 8:50 pm

I’ll get in touch with Harvey.  It could be a mistake on my part when laying the article out.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Harvey Stearn
    Harvey Stearn
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019 at 8:51 pm

Alan, there were actually three mis-captioned images that resulted from my copying the format from a previous image and then failing to change the wording to match the new image. Somehow, I missed it after four proof-readings. Hope you enjoyed the photo’s though.

Harvey

AZfotopro

Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019 at 11:01 am

Harvey:

Beautiful images of some of my favorite places in the world.  I have spend hours at Moraine Lake trying to get out-of-the-ordinary light at sunset or sunrise. Finally got a good one last year.

While there are sandstones in the sedimentary layers of the Canadian Rockies (and Glacier NP) along with mudstones and shales, it is the massive limestone and dolostone layers that really shape the landscape. Mt. Rundle for example is capped by massive limestone units.

Best wishes,

Glenn

Cliff LeSergent
    Cliff LeSergent
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: August 5, 2019 at 10:53 am

I was also going to comment on the geology of the Canadian Rockies section of the article, but Glenn beat me to it.  Most of the spectacular mountains seen by visitors to Banff and Jasper are dolomite or quartzite.

Cliff

Cliff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.