LR update today

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Topic: LR update today Read 1883 Times
  • Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    LR update today
    on: December 1, 2023 at 10:01 am

Mike – for a moment I was thinking along similar lines, but then said to myself that normally LR automatically displays the latest catalog it created. However for some reason we may not understand, perhaps in this instance the updated catalog with all the folders was created but isn’t showing up. This is something Keith can easily determine by going into the Lightroom folder on his hard drive and looking for the most recently dated catalog and its date of creation. If indeed there were such a thing, it should be pretty straightforward bringing it to the fore in the LR Library Module.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: LR update today
    Reply #1 on: December 1, 2023 at 10:42 am

What Lightroom Classic normally does is follow the preferences set by the user:

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: December 1, 2023 at 1:24 pm

Yes (to both comments).  If I recall though, when we update LRC to a new rev (eg 12 to 13), it will ask if we want to convert the catalog.  I don’t recall the dialog box now, but I think if you inadvertently select no then version 13 will open with a brand new catalog with nothing in it.  That’s what I think might have happened.  The examination of the date won’t help as it will be a new version created at the time LRC was updated to 13.

If the OP can post a screenshot of his catalog’s folder library we’ll know a bit more.

There are plenty of ways to fix this but it’s easier if we can see what happened.  Maybe a screenshot of the LR folder in Win Explorer where the catalogs (.lrcat files) are held as well, including the size.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 1, 2023 at 1:34 pm

And when we update to a new catalog version, the older catalog is kept, and one can update it again IF (and this has never been necessary for me), that’s required.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: December 1, 2023 at 4:49 pm

Yes, that’s what I hope might have happened.  Pretty easy to fix once we know for certain, and a screenshot will help confirm.

Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: December 1, 2023 at 5:00 pm

Here are 2 screen shots:

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: December 1, 2023 at 5:56 pm

All I can say from the screenshots is, what a mess! <g>. It tells us nothing about the ‘issue’ with missing folders.

Here is all a clean (single) catalog folder needs to have (and the Settings Folder is an option provided through the preferences, so you can ignore that one folder):

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: December 1, 2023 at 6:49 pm

What struck me, apart from the missing folders (helper, etc.)  is the huge disconnect in folder size between the last two in the list and the previous ones going back from 2019 to 2022. It does look as if a huge amount of material is simply missing, if it were not intentionally purged before the installation of the last two in 2023. Assuming this is not the case, I would revert to the possibility I raised above of a corrupted install.

Thinking of possible solutions, I would have two suggestions (1) bring up the last good one in the list and try opening it, and if it opens, then up-date it according to the Ian Lyon instructions Andrew linked, or (2) go to the Creative Cloud app, uninstall Lightroom and re-install it.

Chris Kern
    Chris Kern
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: December 1, 2023 at 8:19 pm

Mark,

Thank you for the reply, but I have never used the creative cloud feature.

Eh?  How did you perform the upgrade?

───────────────────────
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/chriskernpix/albums/72177720314899467

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: December 2, 2023 at 10:50 am

What struck me, apart from the missing folders (helper, etc.) is the huge disconnect in folder size between the last two in the list and the previous ones going back from 2019 to 2022. It does look as if a huge amount of material is simply missing, if it were not intentionally purged before the installation of the last two in 2023. Assuming this is not the case, I would revert to the possibility I raised above of a corrupted install.

Thinking of possible solutions, I would have two suggestions (1) bring up the last good one in the list and try opening it, and if it opens, then up-date it according to the Ian Lyon instructions Andrew linked, or (2) go to the Creative Cloud app, uninstall Lightroom and re-install it.

I think the numbers are truncated.  The OP can confirm but I’d guess that V10-11 was 987k and V12 and V13 are a little over 1,800k, so both bigger and also similar (v12 vs v13).  If this is so then I don’t think V13 is empty.

You can’t open the v12 catalog on LRC that is now V13.  If you want to do this you can reinstall V12.

Let’s see a screenshot of your folders (expanded)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: December 2, 2023 at 10:55 am

Yes Mike, that’s possible and the only way to know is to see all the data fully expanded. Also it would be good to see all the files in the Lightroom folder in list view rather than as icons.

Keith Randolph
    Keith Randolph
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: December 2, 2023 at 5:30 pm

What struck me, apart from the missing folders (helper, etc.) is the huge disconnect in folder size between the last two in the list and the previous ones going back from 2019 to 2022. It does look as if a huge amount of material is simply missing, if it were not intentionally purged before the installation of the last two in 2023. Assuming this is not the case, I would revert to the possibility I raised above of a corrupted install.

I opened each folder and the one that opened LR before this mess, was Lightroom Catalog-2-v13. I also noticed that I found this by going to This PC> LR & Images(G)>Keith’s LR Catalog

The screen shots I sent were from This PC>Pictures>Lightroom. There was no Lightroom Catalog-2-v13 listed.

I’ve included a screen shot of the formerLR3-1DEC23

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.