Epson P900

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson P900 Read 729 Times
  • Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 21, 2020 at 1:44 pm

The article refers to the P900 as a “19-inch” printer. The P800 could print on paper no wider than 17 inches. Is the P900 really wider in format?

Jim

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson P900
    Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020 at 2:28 pm

No. It’s a 17 inch printer. My goodness, we went through that thing so many times before publishing, how embarrassing – must have had the number 9 on the brain from the model number and you are the first to notice. Thanks for catching it. We’ll get it fixed.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Alan Goldhammer
    Alan Goldhammer
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020 at 6:18 pm

These are a year too late for me as I switched over to a Canon Pro-1000 when the Epson 3880 died.  I’m glad to see they changed the paper path as that was one of the issues that drove me to Canon.  While having no switching is good, smaller ink cartridges are a negative.  I’ll need to see what the ink use is on a per print basis.  I know people complained about Canon ink waste but I haven’t noticed this to be a significant problem.

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020 at 8:21 pm

I just pulled out my wonderful 10-year old 7900 from the wall to finally replace it. There were two pieces of blue tape stuck to the back.

Here’s to Epson Blue Tape!

🙂

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Dave Chew.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020 at 9:35 pm

I even joked with Dano about the blue tape.  Can you imagine some guy there in the factory being trained how and where to put blue tape as well as a technique for folding the ends over so it can be pulled off?  It’s kind of like an Easter egg hunt when you get a new Epson printer.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020 at 10:54 pm

I’ve been through enough of these printers by now that if Epson ever changed course and deprived us of the blue tape ritual it would be a real let-down. It’s become part of the lore of setting up an Epson printer. And by the way, if you’ve ever needed a refurb from Epson, the shade of blue differs between new printers and refurbs! Now, that’s either on purpose or they haven’t colour-managed their tape properly.  I dunno 🙂

Alan – no problem with the lower fill in the cartridges, because the price is being reduced accordingly. It’s true that the Canon is economical on ink use for ink used on prints based on what their very good accounting utility shows, but neither company publishes information on ink used for maintenance. As both uses of ink are essential and the two companies have a different approach to maintenance management, I wouldn’t make any comparative statement without having done some very careful record keeping on both functions over an extended period of time – and it needs to be done partly by inference, because neither make it easy to work out the maintenance usage.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020 at 10:30 am

The last of my 3880 ink sits here beside me and I have not yet initiated my P800. Darn I knew that was a mistake. This sound like a true upgrade. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.