Epson ICC Profiles

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson ICC Profiles Read 1838 Times
  • Hugh Adams
    Hugh Adams
    Silver Member
    Epson Printers
    on: June 8, 2020 at 5:10 pm

In talking to Epson support re P6000 and P800 printers, I was told the profiles in the LR Print module do not mean anything. They said that what determines the right profile is the printer.

I put the LR profile settings to Epson Legacy Platine, click on Printer and selected my pre-set for Hot Press Bright and in Printer Settings Hot Press Bright and matt paper came up, ie. overriding what the LR profile said.

If this is true, then why do we need any profiles in LP Print Module?

Tried to load screen shots but said they were too big after compressing. We site needs to be able to handle larger files.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson ICC Profiles
    Reply #1 on: June 8, 2020 at 5:25 pm

That’s imprecise.

The printer driver is where you select the Media Type, and the application is where you set the ICC profile for the printer and paper you are using. The two need to cohere. The printer driver will only show matte paper if the Media Type you’ve selected is a matte paper. If you do not cohere the selections of Media Type and ICC profile, your print may come out being a mess. So for example, if you are printing with Epson Platine paper, you select the ICC profile for Epson Platine paper in Lightroom and you select the Epson Platine Media Type in the Printer Driver. If you have selected Hot Press Bright in the printer driver, you should be printing with Hot Press Bright and selecting the Hot Press Bright profile in Lightrooms Print module. If you are printing with a 3rd party paper, that paper should have specified the Epson Media Type that goes with its profile for that paper. So you select the Media Type accordingly in the printer driver and the 3rd party’s profile in LR’s print module.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020 at 11:37 am

What you were told (“profiles in the LR Print module do not mean anything”) makes no sense.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Hugh Adams
    Hugh Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Makes sense both profiles match. I may have misunderstood the Epson support person.
    Epson profiles that are installed with the driver are stored in a different place than 3rd party profiles. Can you tell me where They are located: you have to search by clicking on the  Go In Finder and proceed from there but I forgot how Epson told me how to find them.
    Also Epson profiles are included with the driver & not listed with the paper. I need a profile for Epson Watercolored Textured paper that has been discontinued. Where can I find one for a P800?

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020 at 8:21 am

I prefer to store any added profiles to the normal ColorSync location, not where Epson stores the profiles that come with the driver. There are two reasons: First, there have been many times in the past where the driver/OS printing path has broken and/or failed due to updates or whatever. Depending on how you restore the printer/driver, you could delete all your custom/downloaded profiles if they are in the Epson folder(s). Second, I backup the ColorSync folder separately so I always have my profiles saved and accessible; especially if I’ve made custom profiles. On a Mac that is:

~users\[USER]\library\ColorSync\Profiles

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020 at 1:22 pm

Epson profiles that are installed with the driver are stored in a different place than 3rd party profiles. Can you tell me where They are located:

On my Mac under Catalina (update the appropriate names for your drive): /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles

Click on the printer listed and open using “Show Package Contents” using the contextual menu.

FULL patch after doing so: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles/Pro3880.profiles/Contents/Resources

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.