Epson Error Code 0x1601

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson Error Code 0x1601 Read 24998 Times
  • marshall postnikoff
    marshall postnikoff
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: August 3, 2020 at 5:21 pm

My Epson Sure Color P800 is giving me a 0x1601 error code and telling me to turn off the printer.  I can’t seem to get past this screen

The error is Paper width sensor malfunction.  I have tried different size papers to no avail.  Just can’t get back this error message.  Is there a way to rest the printer?  I have tried to unplug and replug in the printer, still no difference.  Printer has been off for about 2 weeks and functioning previously.

Suggestions

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson Error Code 0x1601
    Reply #1 on: August 3, 2020 at 5:29 pm

MacOS or Windows?

marshall postnikoff
    marshall postnikoff
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 3, 2020 at 5:36 pm

On a Mac using Catalina.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: August 3, 2020 at 6:28 pm

If the Epson driver for Catalina isn’t too different from that for High Sierra, the instructions below should work. Before doing any of this, no harm, in fact a good idea, to call Epson Prographics techical support (free over the phone), tell them the problem and ask if the below is what they would recommend to solve it, or have something else they think would work better.

Go to system preferences, printers and scanners, anywhere on the list in the left side column of the panel <Control-Click>; a prompt to “Reset Printing System” will pop up. Click on it to reset the printing system. Then delete the printer from the list if it is still there, using the minus sign under that column. Then go to the Epson website, download the driver for that printer and Catalina. Follow the prompts to complete the install process, then if the printer is not in the list, click the Plus sign under the column to add the printer. If that sequence of steps fails to solve the problem, please see my post on Filter Failed error and follow all of those steps.

marshall postnikoff
    marshall postnikoff
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 3, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Thanks Mark

will call Epson tomorrow, then try your recommendation

marshall

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: August 3, 2020 at 10:30 pm

I recommend that you first follow Epson’s advice (that telephone support is usually very good), and if that doesn’t work, then revert to resetting or trashing the printing system. I say this because you asked for guidance on how to reset the printing system, so I gave you that; but we don’t know whether that is the preferred option for your specific problem.

marshall postnikoff
    marshall postnikoff
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 4, 2020 at 1:05 pm

Hi Mark

I have talked to Epson and all they could tell me was that the Paper Width Sensor had to be replaced.  The technician indicated that they did not know of any other way to reset the computer other than as you suggested. He indicated that special software was required and that it was outside his scope.

I have tired your Filter Failed and reinstalled the driver and still receiving the error 1601.  I did try to connect to the printer using the software utility, but I only get a Error Code : 01.

Epson provided me with a Epson authorized service centre and I have called them for an estimate to replace the Paper Width Sensor.  I think you are within the GTA area and wonder if you know of a authorized Epson service centre that might be more familiar with the P800 series?

This is the 4th time that I have experienced error messages with a P800 printers.  The first 3 were within the warranty period and they replaced the unit with a reconditioned one.  The first time I received a fatal error, then other error messages.  I am not a heavy user of this printer and it worked a week ago, so I wondering about these issues.

Thanks for your help

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: August 4, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Marshall, if a sensor needs to be replaced this will not be resolved by resetting the printer system. It is a physical component failure. I’d be interested to know who Epson recommended to service the printer here in Toronto. The contact I had is no longer doing this, and as I have not needed on-site service for the past five years I don’t know who is doing this today.

marshall postnikoff
    marshall postnikoff
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: August 4, 2020 at 3:17 pm

I do agree with you that if the sensor has to be replaced that the issue will not be resolved, but my feeling is that if I can get the error message to disappear and get to the main menu that it could just be a driver issue.  Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Epson recommended 123 Computerware in Brampton.  But the person who answered the phone did not seem to know the printer that well, which is why I was asking if you could recommend another authorized Epson service outlet.  I purchased the printer at Vistek so I may just contact them.

I have a couple of other resources that may be able to point me in the right direction.  I can drive the unit down as I live in Collingwood which may be the best way to do it.

Again, thanks for your help with this.

marshall

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: August 4, 2020 at 4:23 pm

This is what I heard back from a friend at Epson . . .

This is the response I received from tech support
    If restating the printer does not clear the error then unfortunately it does mean the Paper Width Sensor has malfunction and needs to be replaced.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: August 4, 2020 at 4:28 pm

Assuming you told Epson the correct error code number and the kind of malfunction, they should know what the problem is, and if they thought doing a software reset would solve the problem, I have no doubt they would have advised accordingly.

For support, I left a message with someone who may know someone, and if I get a recommendation from that person it will be a good one. I’ll revert here if I hear back.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: August 4, 2020 at 4:33 pm

This is what I heard back from a friend at Epson . . .

This is the response I received from tech support
    <span style=”color: #201f1e; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; font-size: 14.6667px;”>If restating the printer does not clear the error then unfortunately it does mean the Paper Width Sensor has malfunction and needs to be replaced.</span>

By “restating” did you mean “restarting” or “re-instating”? The latter is simply deleting and re-adding the printer in Preferences>Printers&Scanners. The former of course just turning the printer off and on!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.