Vero – It’s About Time

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Vero – It’s About Time Read 3485 Times
  • Steven Somers
    Steven Somers
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: October 23, 2022 at 6:29 pm

Kevin,

Interesting article on Vero. Thanks. I’m wondering what the income model is. For a long time, Facebook was trying to find its way and ads became the norm. I think an ad-free site is wonderful. But, I’m curious how they will pay for the huge amount of data management. If it’s not a subscription service, who pays the bills?

Steve

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Vero – It’s About Time
    Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022 at 7:33 pm

Hi Kevin, thanks for bringing this to our attention. I had never heard of this site and based on your description I think I should join it. No doubt this will be the case for many others too. Steven is asking a most pertinent question. So far it looks as if there is no income model, but there certainly has to be outflow as Steven says. I can only surmise that for the time being the owners are paying the bills, they’ll capitalize all these recurrent expenditures as investment, and then once they’ve built-up a large enough following they will begin charging a subscription fee to earn a return on the investment and pay recurrent expenditures going forward.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm

I asked myself the same question.  I do the same for photoPXL.  Luckily at PXL we have those that subscribe and donate and keep the site afloat.  For now, Vero is FREE and has been for a while.  I think we are all smart enough to know that someday they will have to put a dollar amount on what they offer and then they will have some attrition but if they keep it ad free then there is a value to paying something.  I have to say I enjoy looking at photographs and this is the easiest well designed platform that I have seen.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022 at 9:11 pm

I joined and poked around a bit on the site (haven’t posted anything yet, that will come later). The site is about a lot more than photography. They have all kinds of stuff going – music, books, podcasts, etc. They probably earn money for referrals on some of this stuff, so it may be cross-subsidizing the photography part.

OK, leaving the money side alone, the site looks and feels good. Will be fun to use once I get down to it. I’ve been quite a laggard on social media in general.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022 at 9:30 pm

Mark, Glad you are joining Social Media.  For me it is about sharing my photography as you can see on my Vero page.  You have a cool project that will be fun to share.  Look forward to seeing your images.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022 at 12:38 am

Hi all,

on one hand, “Buy now” may generate a bit of income. No further details there. But in their mission statement they also say:

No ads.

We made our business model subscription-based so we could be free of ads, making our users our customers.

So as you suggested, users will likely be charged sooner or later. Fair enough. No fees visible yet.

Best regards,

Erik

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022 at 5:33 am

Hello Kevin,

those are some interesting aspects you raise here. Professionally, I was allowed to deal with G+, facebook, Whatsapp and much more, but so far I had avoided things like twitter and instagram.

Until now, that is, until my daughter and son said that I would have to instagram with my photos in this day and age, so we have only recently tackled this.

Although I am quite technology affine and come from the IT I feel alone from the operating concept there some as not quite coherent, which may also be due to the fact that I am still anything but saddle-fast there ;), as the young people show me again and again.

Recently, a photographer friend told me when we talked about instagram that in his opinion the platform has taken an unattractive development away from photography and is increasingly adapting to other services.

Now I read your article which implicitly strikes the same note and will take a closer look at Vero :).

Oliver

https://www.riwodot.de

https://vero.co/riwodot

https://www.instagram.com/riwodot/

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022 at 5:51 pm

Hum…ya gotta download an app for the computer? Really? Can’t do it in a web dev environment? I realize device apps are the thing cause web browsers on phones and pads kinda suck, but one wondering about an app ONLY ecosphere…

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: October 25, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Hum…ya gotta download an app for the computer? Really? Can’t do it in a web dev environment? I realize device apps are the thing cause web browsers on phones and pads kinda suck, but one wondering about an app ONLY ecosphere…

My experience was that in order to get an account I had to set it up on my iPad or iPhone first – I did the iPad, and then once set up with a username and password, I downloaded their desktop beta to my computer and logged into the account I created in the iPad, so now I can use it from either device. Seems quite flexible.

Charles Charles
    Charles Charles
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Just searched the Google Play Store. Did not find Vero app for photos. Not on Android (yet)?

Vero_Android_search

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: October 29, 2022 at 4:05 pm

Strange.  I found it using google (not google play).  Vero – True Social.

It tells me none of my devices are compatible.  Win 10 desktop, 2021 MBP and 3 different Android tabs (I don’t own a cellphone).  No matter I don’t do social media.

Check out reviews before downloading.

Charles Charles
    Charles Charles
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: October 29, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Thank you, Mike. Same experience as you. Apparently, not available for Android devices, definitely told so about mine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.