Two New Epson Pro Desktop Printers

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Two New Epson Pro Desktop Printers Read 751 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: April 21, 2020 at 11:14 am

Today we publish an article written by Mark Segal and Kevin Raber highlighting two new Epson Pro Desktop printers the p700 and P900.  Just when you thought printing couldn’t get easier and better, Epson surprises us with these printers.  You can read about it HERE along with an accompanying video with Dan (Dano) Steinhardt.  It’s always fun to talk to Dano and I hope you enjoy the article.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Re: Two New Epson Pro Desktop Printers
    Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020 at 1:53 pm

The article refers to the P900 as a “19-inch” printer. The P800 could print on paper no wider than 17 inches. Is the P900 really wider in format?

Jim

PS. please delete the other thread I started on this subject.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020 at 3:23 pm

Thanks, Jim, I don’t know how many times re proofed this article and that slipped through.  I could say it was a test to see who was reading things.  It has been corrected.

Kevin Raber

Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020 at 1:00 am

Kevin or Dano:  Can either of you comment on an appropriate way to sharpen images in preparation for printing via Epson Print Layout software? I use Pixel Genius sharpening in PS, and the built in sharpening in Lightroom. I am assuming that Epson Print Layout doesn’t do any sharpening itself, but since you can resize the image in Print Layout, it’s not clear exactly what approach to sharpening one should take.

P.S. I accidentally posted this in the Epson printer forum, but it really belongs here.

Glenn

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020 at 10:23 am

Hi Glenn, I’m not Kevin or Dano but as you may know I do lots of this stuff and can help here. I too use PK Sharpener Pro 2 when I send photos to print from Photoshop (increasingly rare as I do 99% of my printing through LR). The Output sharpener is meant to be used BEFORE you send the photo to print and only once you know the final dimensions you want the print to have, because the working of the output sharpener is dimension-dependent. If you find you need to change the dimensions once you are in EPL I would recommend noting what those final dimensions are, then reverting to Photoshop and redo the Output sharpening accordingly (trash the existing output sharpening layer and re-run it), then re-open the photo in EPL and proceed to print.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020 at 10:32 am

I use two different sharpening programs depending on what I am doing and the image.  Focus Magic was recommended to me by Charlie Cramer and it works really well.  I also use Topaz Sharpen AI more and more these days.  Topaz is really good and has some great features.

Kevin Raber

Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020 at 11:27 am

Mark:

I should have included you in the greeting, since I expected and hoped you would chime in. Like you, I have shifted a lot of printing to LR. The results are, for the most part, great.. but there are occasional hiccups with size or positioning.  I was planning on using your method… export TIFF from LR into PS, then use output sharpening at the targeted print size.

Glenn

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020 at 12:49 pm

Mark:

I should have included you in the greeting, since I expected and hoped you would chime in. Like you, I have shifted a lot of printing to LR. The results are, for the most part, great.. but there are occasional hiccups with size or positioning. I was planning on using your method… export TIFF from LR into PS, then use output sharpening at the targeted print size.

Glenn

Should be fine – but I’m curious to know what issues you’ve had with sizing and positioning in LR that would cause you to export to PS for printing.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Glenn Kroeger
    Glenn Kroeger
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020 at 6:36 pm

Mark:

As I said, I am quite pleased with printing from LR.. so much so that I usually bring images from PS and Capture One into LR for printing. I like the output sharpening in LR, which I assume is genetically related to PKSharpener. The couple of hiccups were never fully diagnosed.. and cured by just rebooting the printer (SC-P7000) and Mac. Since I don’t know of a way to do output sharpening with LR other than through the print module, I was just pondering how I might use Epson Print Layout. I was thinking about this mostly for output from Capture One since I find it’s printing abilities quite limited.

When I moved from the P800 to the P7000, I found several of my images were easier (much less sensitive to rendering intent) to get “just right” with the larger gamut. I need to go back, but I recall at least one of these had to do with subtle blue colors in the ocean. I am really curious to see how the inkset in the P900 handles this. I look forward to your detailed review as your past reviews of both printer and papers have been extremely useful.

Glenn

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020 at 7:43 pm

Mark:
    …………………I am really curious to see how the inkset in the P900 handles this. I look forward to your detailed review as your past reviews of both printer and papers have been extremely useful.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, Thanks – and yes, we too are curious to understand the capabilities of the new inkset, which with the addition of violet we understand should be particularly good for deep blues. But we’ll know first-hand sooner or later when review units become available and we’ve had time to do our thing with them.

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020 at 12:48 am

This may be a bit off-topic.

In 2019 we moved from Arizona to Maryland (for grandchildren).  My P600 was boxed up and in transit/storage from January to November, from AZ to MD.  I did pack it in the original box, and I followed the Epson packing instructions.   I unpacked the P600, did the ink purge, and it worked just fine!  Really, no problems – and still no problem!

JSS

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020 at 9:14 am

Kevin,

Great article and great video.  I plan to purchase a new P700 (to replace my P600), as companion for my SC P7570.  The new PK/MK technology is wonderful in use.  Completely transparent.  Just load the paper, and the “paper type” chosen takes care of it.

I loved the general discussion with Dano.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.