The view from Stac Pollaidh

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The view from Stac Pollaidh Read 262 Times
  • Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: January 30, 2023 at 1:15 pm

Another image from our short holiday in Assynt. It looked as though we would get 1 day when the wind would drop and the rain keep off so we had a long hoped for chance to climb Stac Pollaidh. Stac Pollaidh is a small hill 2,008ft but has wonderful views across the Assynt countryside. If it just been me I would have arrived before dawn to be high up on the hill for day break but my wife prefers sleeping until the sun awakes her before a filling breakfast so it was almost 10 o’clock before we set off to drive to the foot of the hill and climb the small but steep hill. 95% of Stac Pollaidh is a simple hill walk, the last 5% involves serious scrambling and rock climbing skills well beyond us. So it was lunch at the last easy bit and admire the views before walking back down a pair of proud pensioners.

Pano-2199-to-2204-cropped-copy
    Stac Pollaidh image from last year when I was considering climbing it but the weather forecast was promising hurricane force winds and driving snow even though their was no evidence of it.

DSC4448-1-copy
    80 minutes later the promised storm arrived. Jeremy may remember storm Arwen which wreaked havoc over much of the North last year with 100mph winds and , here at least, heavy snow.

DSC4541-1-mono

I hope my short story wasn’t too long for you. Ken

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Re: The view from Stac Pollaidh
    Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023 at 1:19 pm

Dramatic!

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023 at 3:18 pm

I do remember the storm, Ken. Whatever havoc it wrought, it gave you what is in my view much the best of your three shots.

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023 at 8:29 pm

Other worldly.  Looks like I’ll have to add it to my want to travel to list.  Very nice images.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023 at 9:55 am

Kevin, Assynt is one of the most beautiful locations in Scotland. It has been forgotten by most photographers as they head off to Skye or Harris. Don’t visit in the Summer unless you like to give blood to the insects. Ken

Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023 at 9:57 am

Thanks Jeremy. The first two are little more than high quality snapshots. With the last one I was hoping for the slightest hint of sunshine but no luck. Ken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.