Spotting inkjet baryta paper

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Spotting inkjet baryta paper Read 400 Times
  • Jim Newberry
    Jim Newberry
    Participant
    Papers & Media
    on: May 9, 2023 at 5:32 pm

I have an Epson pigment ink print (grayscale/b&w photo) on Moab Juniper Baryta paper with a couple white spots–I’m guessing a speck of something on the paper during printing. Any ideas for how to spot that? Using traditional Spot Tone? Any kind of pencil or paint recommended?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Spotting inkjet baryta paper
    Reply #1 on: May 9, 2023 at 5:57 pm

The easiest and best quality thing to do may be just to reprint it. Does consume a piece of paper and some ink, but may be worthwhile.

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: May 9, 2023 at 6:37 pm

If reprinting is not an option or preferable I’d suggest something along the lines of the Pigma Micron pens which are available in a wide variety of nib sizes and colours. I don’t use them often but they have done the job for me a few times.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: May 9, 2023 at 7:14 pm

You may be able to spot with such pens but depending on the angle of light hitting the paper, the difference of texture between the spotted area and the surrounding area will probably show.

Jim Newberry
    Jim Newberry
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: May 9, 2023 at 9:34 pm

Thanks folks!

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023 at 4:11 pm

I save black (both kinds) and both of the grays when carts are empty.  Put the considerable “left overs” in little plastic sealable vials.  A triple 0 brush and some practice and you can do a lot.

On the cause, it is almost undoubtedly the result of dust or paper lint on the surface that gets printed, then falls off.  This used to drive me nuts on my 4880.  I finally learned two important things.   #1.  Vacuum the wheels off the paper feed mechanism, rollers, etc., often.  #2.  I now take a wash cloth sized “terry” microfiber cloth and VERY CAREFULLY wipe the surface of any paper stock that seems prone to this.  Not all are.  I had tried canned air, filtered blower, anti-static brush, and a bunch of other things that didn’t work.  But a really pristine looped “terrycloth” type cloth very gently used to clean the surface (one direction only, and a very light pass) can work well.   I’ve yet to damage the paper surface as long as I’m super careful.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Jim Newberry
    Jim Newberry
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023 at 12:58 am

Thanks Rand, for the suggestions!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.