Soft Proofing In Lightroom – PXL Print Series

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Soft Proofing In Lightroom – PXL Print Series Read 523 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: March 11, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Join Jeff Schewe and me as Jeff shows us how to soft proof in Lightroom. You’ll find this a great learning piece with an excellent video.  Check it out HERE.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jacek Łuc
    Jacek Łuc
    Participant
    Re: Soft Proofing In Lightroom – PXL Print Series
    Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022 at 5:30 pm

Great job, thanks. Especially comparing in one view master file and “print preview”.

You did not mention gamut warnings on the histogram. Is there any value in using them? I remember there was something about those warnings in that unforgettable video with Michael.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022 at 6:08 pm

Gamut warning overlay: useless and often buggy.

Gamut clipping indication in Histogram is a bit different, kind of useful to show; you’ve got colors that are clipping based on the current rendering settings:

http://digitaldog.net/files/SaturationClipping.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022 at 7:02 pm

Gamut warnings are useless geek toys that don’t tell you anything about HOW an image will print…they only tell you a binary in/out display without telling you how much…

Jacek Łuc
    Jacek Łuc
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: March 12, 2022 at 7:35 am

Thanks for clarification. Regards.

Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Jean-Michel Komarnicki
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022 at 3:15 pm

Hi,

Very interesting video. And, yes, printing from LR is a real boon: one master file, a gazillion ways to print on different sizes, papers, printers …  I no longer do much cmyk work, but perhaps someday the LR folks may tackle the conversion and soft-proofing in LR; for now it is a PS job only.

Early on, I learned much from Jeff, Michael, and Kevin from the comprehensive tutorials from the ‘other’ site. I still have the videos that I paid for at the time. A new version of these on your site would be valuable to many users, if that can make any financial sense to you.

Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022 at 3:27 pm

Thank you.  Yes, we have talked about doing videos similar to what was done on the other site.  We’d have to sell them and we question how many people would pay a reasonable fee for the purchase of them.  I mean it’s two old guys messing around in photography, we aren’t some hipsters with all sorts of bells and whistles and YouTube setups.  But, we do know how to have fun and at the same time make things educational.

We are looking into this and have a few ideas for some other things.  The problem until recently was it was difficult to get a group of people together in one space without COVID fears.  We are pretty much past that now.

Jeff and I were thinking of doing a Lightroom – Capture One shootout.  Would that be an interest?  We could also do full-scale tutorials too.  We are open to ideas as we get back into getting out there again.  I have to say though that we are running a business and we’d have to change for some of these to cover costs.  Of course, if you were a regular member you’d get the videos as part of your membership.

Just saying.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022 at 3:33 pm

No CMYK anything (soft proofing or otherwise) in Lightroom Classic. So yes, use Photoshop.

Years ago, there was some limited CMYK support in LR, it was really buggy and got removed. For now, consider LR and ACR a total RGB centric product.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.