Relative Colormetric/Perceptual

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Relative Colormetric/Perceptual Read 504 Times
  • Hugh Adams
    Hugh Adams
    Silver Member
    Printing Colour Management
    on: March 12, 2022 at 9:35 pm

If I understood correctly that Perceptual is best if color gamut is critical and Relative Colorimetric is best for tonal range then would RC be better for Monochrome Prints?

Very good discussion.

Hugh Adams

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Relative Colormetric/Perceptual
    Reply #1 on: March 12, 2022 at 10:28 pm

I don’t believe there are reliable rules for this. These Rendering Intents are designed to deal with out of gamut colours. They each do it differently and the image appearance depends not only the formula but the character of the photo itself. The correct Rendering Intent is the one which makes the photo look best in your mind’s eye.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022 at 12:08 am

ICC profiles and rendering intents know nothing about images or color in context. They ‘see’ and treat an image, one pixel at a time. On top of that, there are no rules in how a profile manufacturer produces a  perceptual rendering. Just like there are no rules in how one renders an image on transparency film. Velvia is no more accurate or correct than AgfaChrome as an example.

Image creators can soft proof and pick an RI and select one based on the colors in context and what they visually prefer.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jeff Schewe
    Jeff Schewe
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022 at 10:14 pm

Yes, printing monochromatic images with little or no color would best be done with RelCol…thats what I do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.