Printer Profile Evaluation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Printer Profile Evaluation Read 1031 Times
  • Alan Goldhammer
    Alan Goldhammer
    Silver Member
    Papers & Media
    on: July 26, 2019 at 7:07 pm

Mark – this was a nice write up on how you are currently evaluating printer paper and profile combinations.  Mark Gray has a thread over at the Luminous Landscape on this topic and he has some synthetic data sets that he uses for evaluation purposes.  I’ve not tried them out as I have to convert the set into a format that I can use with Argyll CMS.  He has posted CGATS files of both 100 and 400 patch sets and for his own work gone up to several thousand patches (he has an iSis that can do large patch sets that those of us with only manual i1 Pro would not even contemplate).  The ‘profcheck’ utility in Argyll CMS allows one to choose which observation difference to test the profile:  CIE76, 94 or 2000.  Output is easily directed straight into an Excel spreadsheet.  Graeme Gill, the author of Argyll, says in the notes that CIE2000 delta E has a closer correspondence to perceived color differences than the other two.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Printer Profile Evaluation
    Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Thanks Alan – glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I am broadly familiar with what Doug Gray has been presenting over at LuLa, and I have tried a couple of his patch sets, which performed satisfactorily. What Graeme says corresponds with what I mentioned several paragraphs into the article. Whether one looks at dE(76) or dE(2000) depends on the purpose; one seldom sees dE(94) being used since dE(2000) was published, but I understand it may still have some application in the textile industry, though not sure if even that remains so.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.