Once edited, can’t find original raw files to start another edit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Once edited, can’t find original raw files to start another edit Read 802 Times
  • Joe Sankey
    Joe Sankey
    Silver Member
    Capture One
    on: January 29, 2023 at 1:13 pm

I have some edited images that were converted to B&W, at which time they became .tiff. I’d like to revert to the originals to see if I can do a different/better job from scratch but the original (NEF) files don’t show up.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Once edited, can’t find original raw files to start another edit
    Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023 at 1:43 pm

Joe, I don’t want to sound “difficult”, but put yourself in the shoes of your readers who would like to be able to help you and ask yourself whether you have received nearly enough information to begin thinking of the problem.

OK, that said, I’m no expert in C1, I’ve made very little use of it; but whenever I’m confronted with an issue of missing photos in other software, the first thing I do is revert to my system’s Finder (are you on Mac? If not the equivalent on Windows) and put in a search term with the original file name given by whatever camera I made the photo with, and if it finds the photo at least I know it’s safe and sound in my hard drive (if that’s where I store them normally) and can be re-opened in whatever software I want to use next for it.

Joe Sankey
    Joe Sankey
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023 at 1:56 pm

Mark, point taken. Turns out it was operator error, as usual. Sorry.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023 at 2:02 pm

C1 or otherwise, raws are read-only, and a TIFF is an iteration from the raw. If you edited a raw, you produced parametric (instruction-based*) edits; if you want a TIFf or JPEG or anything but the raw and a preview, it has to be rendered. So your raws are still raw. Your TIFFs are baked, edited, and rendered images from the raws. Where all these ‘live’ on your drive isn’t anything I can answer for any raw converter. But the TIFFs and raws are totally separate entities. Find the raws and edit a new set of parametric edts, render, and done.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Joe Sankey
    Joe Sankey
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023 at 2:22 pm

Thanks for the help. It was my fault simply not thinking through the simple use of the library. Been doing this a while, so brain damage must have set in. Yall take care.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023 at 2:28 pm

Yes Joe, some of this stuff can give us all temporary fits of brain stutter, whereby we overlook the simplest of things!  🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.