Nozzle Check showing gaps in the Cyan and Vivid Magenta Channels – Epson P 9890

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Nozzle Check showing gaps in the Cyan and Vivid Magenta Channels – Epson P 9890 Read 231 Times
  • Renzo Jaya
    Renzo Jaya
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: November 6, 2023 at 3:17 pm

A friend has an Epson 9890 which had not been used for about 6 months. I tried a nozzle check and after a couple of power cleans it is printing on all channels except cyan and vivid magenta. The printer does not do any further nozzle checks saying that these two nozzles are blocked. There is no ink coming through the cyan channel and the vivid magenta has about 85% of the pattern printed. The printer is a behemoth and is difficult to transport to any of the Epson repair locations.

Any suggestions on things to do to unclog these two channels? Any suggestions and detailed instructions on what to do will be appreciated.

Thanks.

R.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Nozzle Check showing gaps in the Cyan and Vivid Magenta Channels – Epson P 9890
    Reply #1 on: November 6, 2023 at 4:46 pm

Do this for each blocked channel:

Normal clean followed by a nozzle check.

If still blocked, one more normal clean followed by a nozzle check.

If still blocked, print a page one half with the blocked channel, the other half with its paired channel (if this model works in channel pairs)

Then do a power clean, followed by a nozzle check.

If still blocked, shut down the printer over night and repeat the above sequence the next day.

Do the above for as many days as needed to clear the channel.

If after three days of this it is still blocked, call Epson ProGraphics technical support and they will recommend an authorized service person to come to the printer location and fix it.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Nozzle Check showing gaps in the Cyan and Vivid Magenta Channels – Epson P 9890
    Reply #2 on: November 6, 2023 at 6:56 pm

Mark has given the best advice.  Sometimes, it’s a matter of patience.  I haven’t experienced this problem for several years now, thankfully.  But persistence usually pays off.

Also, take the ink cartridges out and gently shake them many times the clog is where the cartridge and printer make a connection.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Renzo Jaya
    Renzo Jaya
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: November 7, 2023 at 2:29 pm

Thanks to both of you for your comments and suggestions. I have also found that Mark Segal’s advice works. Looking forward to his review of the new Epson P 5370.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: November 7, 2023 at 8:49 pm

Hi Renzo, thanks and stay tuned. It will be a while, but I expect to be reviewing it once units become available. Meanwhile I hope you resolve your current difficulty.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.