New PXLtorial – The Sony a7r IV and Why I Am Buying It

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Topic: New PXLtorial – The Sony a7r IV and Why I Am Buying It Read 21560 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    PXLtorials Discussion
    on: July 18, 2019 at 9:08 pm

I just published our first PXLtorial about the Sony a7r IV camera and why I already ordered it. You can read it HERE

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Don Libby
    Don Libby
    Participant
    Re: New PXLtorial – The Sony a7r IV and Why I Am Buying It
    Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Sandy and I are primarily landscape, nature and wildlife photographers (in that order). I include capturing waterdrops and the milky way in the same topic as “nature”.

I was a die in the wool Phase One user beginning with a P30+ and ending with an IQ1-100. During the time spent with P1 I used just about every body available beginning with a Mamiya and ending with the Phase One XF. I also used a technical camera long the way shooting great landscape images of the southwest. I no longer use any Phase One gear. This sudden departure came when the setup became too heavy and unwieldy; the thought of packing a body and several lens several miles to a shoot on the side of a cliff sent my back into spasms.

Then right around the time I began thinking a change was needed first Hasselblad then Fujifilm announced their release of a mirrorless medium format camera which had the same crop sensor as the P30+. The writing was on the wall.

I got the Fuji GFX50s within week of it being released and by the end of the year I had sold all my Phase One gear.

That’s enough history of me. Sandy on the other hand has never caught the medium format bug so she’s never had that fever. Sandy went through several Canon 1Ds versions ending with the 1DsIII before it became too heavy for her to handle for any extended period. I remember we were in Jackson Hole when the first Sony A7r was offered and we ordered it having it delivered to where we were staying. It didn’t take her long to fully embrace the mirrorless camera and within several months all her Canon gear was sold. Since then she has used the A7r, A7rII and currently the A7rIII with great success. Here order for the A7rIV was accomplished within minutes after B&H opened the preorder.

I’m looking forward to seeing the files the IV offer and am excited to compare them with the GFX50s.

I still use the GFX50s and have yet not ordered the GFX100; not because I dislike the sensor, what I dislike is the physical size when compared to the 50s.

We will be spending close to 5-weeks in the Jackson Hole area beginning in October and hope to put the A7rIV through its paces as we stalk moose, bear, elk and of course buffalo. The GFX50s has proved it capable and I feel the new A7rIV will as well.

You can count us in as well.

[EDIT by Chris Sanderson]
    Example of html formatting pasted in from outside application.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    http://www.ironcreekphotographyblog.com

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019 at 8:56 pm

Uh oh. I accidentally hit reply and now I have to think of something to say! I don’t know how to delete a post.

Well, I had the first version and upgraded to the ii.  Skipped iii, now I have some thinking to do. I haven’t used it much in the last year, so I’m not in a big hurry. I am going to be stuck between this and the eventual RX1r iii, which may be a better companion for me.

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Dave Chew.
    Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019 at 3:54 am

Uh oh. I accidentally hit reply and now I have to think of something to say!

Click “cancel” instead of “submit”, Dave!

Jeremy

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019 at 6:59 am

Click “cancel” instead of “submit”, Dave!

Jeremy

I hit submit by accident, which created a post with no text. Then went into edit to find a way to delete the post. I don’t think there is a way to do that…?

Anyway, maybe we need a weekly prize for the winner of “stupid forum member actions!” ?

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019 at 8:56 am

Try TRASH in the upper right of the post.

Kevin Raber

Carlos San Miguel
    Carlos San Miguel
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019 at 9:11 am

Hi Kevin, this question doesn’t have anything to do with the A7r IV(which I already pre ordered). You mentioned 44×72″ prints. Are these pano shots? and do you print all the way to the border on the 44″side. I alse have the 9900, but have never printed borderless.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019 at 12:35 pm

Carlos, I have never done borderless at that size, to be honest.  I tend to always print with some margins.  I have 72 inch frames I made thus that is why I use that size.  See attached photo.

Kevin Raber

Gerner Christensen
    Gerner Christensen
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019 at 4:33 am

I ordered the 7R4 mainly due to:

– 2 in one lens option by usage of the now 26MP big APS-C mode
    – Better ergonomics
    – The minor improvements

Guess that all 🙂

Jim Sanderson
    Jim Sanderson
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Hmmm, I’m on the fence about upgrading from the r iii to the r iv.  The reason I would upgrade would be the better focus programs in the r iv and the increased mp count in APS-C mode for birding.  I’m not sure that 61mp v 42mp would make that much of a difference when using ISO settings of 400 and above for birds in flight.  I do not see a benefit for the travel photos I take.  I use my Fuji GFX system for landscapes, and studio endeavors.  Any thoughts?  I was thinking the best course might be to wait and see what the new a9 offering will bring…..

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019 at 2:54 pm

Jim, You have made your own good points.  If you already have a GFX you’re in fine shape MP wise.  I’d go for the a9 for the kind of photography you are doing.  The latest firmware update really transformed the a9 and it is incredible for shooting action.  I know there are rumors out there about an a9II but I don’t think there is anything wrong with the present one.  I think the a7sIII will be the next big news.

Kevin Raber

Kelly Bolin
    Kelly Bolin
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019 at 1:10 am

Have my IV on order for one main reason… better weather sealing.  Doing landscape & wildlife photography one never knows what weather we will face.  While I’ve never had a problem with the III in the weather why not get better.  Also I will convert my III to IR.  🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.