New Article On Macro Photography

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: New Article On Macro Photography Read 850 Times
  • Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: March 12, 2020 at 11:32 am

I just published a comprehensive article about MAcro photography by Charles Ginsburgh.  He goes into great detail about macro photography and focus stacking.  With a lot of spending more time indoors because of the Coronavirus, this could be a good time to try some macro photography out.  Check the article out

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Brad Smith
    Brad Smith
    Participant
    Re: New Article On Macro Photography
    Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Kevin,

The format of indicating the author of articles needs to be improved.  The first screen of this article would cause the reader to believe that you were the author, whereas when I got to the very end, I see it was written by Charles Ginsburgh.   On the other hand, the last article, by Alain Briot is shown as being written by him.  I suggest uniformity of identifying the author.

Excellent “how to” article.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020 at 3:04 pm

Brad, Thanks for catching that.  I thought I had switched him over to being the author.  That has now been corrected.  Glad you liked the article.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Great article. Thank you Charles and Kevin. I wonder if there is any benefit to moving the sensor back and forth without moving the lens while capturing the slices. Like you would focusing a technical camera such as the Actus. I always have the problem of fuzzy edges due to the change in perspective as the lens moves back and forth. Would moving the back instead help at all?

I really should know the answer, but my brain hurts.

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Dave Chew.
    Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020 at 11:27 am

You might want to remove the errant apostrophe from the title.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020 at 11:42 am

It’s gone

Jim Kasson
    Jim Kasson
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020 at 3:45 pm

It’s gone

Thanks. I don’t know why that bothers me the way that it does. It’s like fingernails on a blackboard.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Unfortunately errant apostrophes are ubiquitous. All people have to remember is that it either indicates possession (Mike’s) or contraction: it is -> it’s. The apostrophe replaces the i. Anyway, enough of the grammar lesson.

Great article on macro work. Just wanted to add a quick note that focus stacking can also be used to increase DoF in landscape images. Anyone else remember the old-fashioned close-up lenses with half glass in the filter? With my Sony I find that DoF can be really shallow, even at say f/8 with the 24-105mm lens. Focus stacking allows more of the image to be in focus without looking out of place.

DSC1371-FS2-Capture-One
    This is a composite of nine images – 62mm, f/8. Focus stacking was done with Affinity Photo and I pushed the image around a bit in Silver Efex Pro. I’ve not tried Zerene Stacker but I have played a bit with Helicon Focus. It goes without saying that any breeze plays havoc with the subsequent retouching.

Mike.

P.S. I’m surprised more cameras don’t have built-in focus stacking ability. It’s only a firmware update as the camera is already focusing the lens and the motor can vary focus more accurately than the human hand. I’m assuming it’s not high enough on the priority list.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Unfortunately errant apostrophes are ubiquitous. All people have to remember is that it either indicates possession (Mike’s) or contraction: it is -> it’s. The apostrophe replaces the i. Anyway, enough of the grammar lesson.

“The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.”  FZ

JSS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.