Large Prints from the iPhone 14 Pro Max

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Large Prints from the iPhone 14 Pro Max Read 921 Times
  • Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    PXLtorials Discussion
    on: May 5, 2023 at 8:12 pm

A wonderful and very useful article Kevin.
    As you know there are “add on lenses” available for the iPhone. I wonder if you have used any of these lenses and if so if you have an opinion as to their benefits.

Elliot

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Large Prints from the iPhone 14 Pro Max
    Reply #1 on: May 9, 2023 at 1:22 pm

Hi Kevin, fascinating article and very good account of what one can do these days with an up-to-date iPhone, some good software and knowledge.
    I can readily relate to the common sense of using a tripod with such a phone, because at 48MP resolution on a sensor that small, even tiny vibrations could create motion blur and the phone probably doesn’t have built-in “steady shot”. However, it has to be admitted that this somewhat mitigates the portability aspect. Nonetheless, amazing.
    On the software side, I’m wondering whether you’ve had a chance and the interest to compare outcomes between Topaz Gigapizel, On1 Resize and Lightroom’s own resampling algorithm built into the application? I did some preliminary research along these lines and didn’t see much difference between them, though I have to admit I didn’t put the kind of time and effort into it that I would need to come to precise and definitive conclusions one way or another. I’m wondering whether you or others have.
    Congrats on a well-done and fascinating exercise in stretching the technology.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: May 9, 2023 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Mark. I tried all three and ended up with the GigaPixel choice. Topaz put a lot of thought into their GigaPixle product. The super res in LR worked pretty good and so did onOne. For giggles and grins I may do a side by side comapriosn and print some large images as I mthink that will be where you can really tell. Another thing for my list. Good idea though. Too bad you can’t see the print in person. It’s pretty darn good. MAybe I should try a shot with my Sony a1 (50mp) and a side by side with the iPhone RAW. Heck, I need more of me. Guess I’ll have to ask AI how to make more of me to do all the stuff I am doing.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: May 9, 2023 at 4:16 pm

If it could do that I’d buy today!

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023 at 12:51 pm

Guess I’ll have to ask AI how to make more of me to do all the stuff I am doing

More Kevin Rabers? Could the world – the universe – cope?

Jeremy

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023 at 1:15 pm

Guess I’ll have to ask AI how to make more of me to do all the stuff I am doing

More Kevin Rabers? Could the world – the universe – cope?

Jeremy

No, I fear it would run out of energy very quickly – even the renewable kind! 🙂

Howard Cubell
    Howard Cubell
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023 at 2:30 pm

Apropos to Mark’s comment about about Kevin’s use of a tripod to take the iPhone photo that he upscaled and printed, which is not how people tend to use an iPhone and that the iPhone does not have IBIS, it’s worth noting that Topaz Labs also makes a program called Sharpen AI which has an AI model for sharpening called Motion Blur that corrects camera movement. It often produces astonishingly effective results. I have never tried it with iPhone raw files, but it is definitely something worth checking out. Gigapixel AI may actually incorporate some of the capabilities of Sharpen AI for the upscaling process, but I use Sharpen AI for basic capture sharpening on the raw file.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023 at 7:21 pm

Just to make the record clear. I used a tripod for the images in the article to remove any variables from hand holding the iPhone. However, that being said I have taken a lot of RAW images without a tripod and see the same beautiful results. I always have a tripod with me, in my wallet actua;;y and always one close by in the car in case I need it.

There is a new app out for the iPhone ReeHeld. Look it up. Long exposure raws with stabilization. It’s pretty cool to see what it does.

And, you say a tripod in his pocket? check it out . . . https://photopxl.com/a-tripod-in-your-wallet-pocket-tripod-pro/

Kevin Raber

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023 at 7:39 pm

Whoever designed that really has his/head on his/her shoulders. The height of cool indeed. I am continually amazed by the quality of iPhone photos; no wonder the phone is giving cameras a run for their money for casual and perhaps even not so casual photographing. And with the recent Epson printing apps, it’s not to hard to go from phone to print.

Elliot Puritz
    Elliot Puritz
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: May 15, 2023 at 9:13 am

Still wonder about the use of the “add on lenses” for the iPhone.

Has anyone used them, and are they worth the price?

Elliot

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: May 15, 2023 at 3:46 pm

I have a number of add on lenses and they are all pretty good. I don’t use them much however as the 3 lenses on the camera are good for 95% of the photography that I do. I have it on my list to do an article on lenses as well as different grips.

Kevin Raber

Francisco Disilvestro
    Francisco Disilvestro
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023 at 6:40 am

Just to make the record clear. I used a tripod for the images in the article to remove any variables from hand holding the iPhone. However, that being said I have taken a lot of RAW images without a tripod and see the same beautiful results. I always have a tripod with me, in my wallet actua;;y and always one close by in the car in case I need it.

There is a new app out for the iPhone ReeHeld. Look it up. Long exposure raws with stabilization. It’s pretty cool to see what it does.

And, you say a tripod in his pocket? check it out . . . https://photopxl.com/a-tripod-in-your-wallet-pocket-tripod-pro/

ReeHeld lets you take long exposures (up to 30 seconds) stabilized, but only produce jpeg files. Because it is stabilized you can take those long exposures handheld.

The same developer, Reeflex, makes another app called ReeXpose, which can make long exposure and produce 12 bit raw files, but it is not stabilized (need a tripod).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.