Is there a DAM life out of LR?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Is there a DAM life out of LR? Read 3149 Times
  • Javier Santa
    Javier Santa
    Silver Member
    Digital Asset Management
    on: November 25, 2019 at 4:32 pm

Hi there.

Although I tried to escape from LR, I´m still sticked to it mainly because of its DAM.

In my case it´s holding around 150.000 photographys easily in one catalog, so I don´t need to change catalogs to browse among all of them at a time or start a selection of any kind.

I´ve tried C1 and found it´s a fantastic developer for my taste but its DAM is not able to handle my inceasing number of photographs in one catalog, and On1 and Luminar are still far behind LR (globally) or C1 talking about developing.

I´m quite curious on how someone else is working with C1 relating to browsing and DAM, where hyerarchical keywording is Paramount.

Enjoy

Javier

Christopher Dubea
    Christopher Dubea
    Participant
    Re: Is there a DAM life out of LR?
    Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Hoo boy, me too.

I’ve got about 65k images in my catalog and that chokes a catalog in C1.  Frankly having a functional catalog system in C1 is a prerequisite for me before I send them any more money for an upgrade.

I’ve played around with cataloging in other DAM’s and really not come up with a workflow that really makes sense. Per a posting on dpReview, I use a Session with no imagery imported and just browse around the drive.

At present I’m using xnView MP and Digikam to see if either makes any sense for use as photo organization tool in conjunction with C1.  xnView is not a DAM per se as it doesn’t have a database to speak of, but saves all the info and metadata into XMP files. Digikam is a DAM as it uses a sqLite database, and I’ve just started playing with it, but it shows promise.

I’m not looking for a ton of capability in a DAM. In the past I’ve used iMatch, iView Media Pro and LR. The problem is they are all rabbit holes to fall into and I spent way to much time “organizing” and not any near enough time producing imagery. That’s why I think the cataloging system in C1 has the capability I would like to have, but unfortunately most of it breaks when the catalogs get of any size.

Javier Santa
    Javier Santa
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019 at 4:52 pm

Thank you Chris.

I thought that by this time a DAM with lots of data should be not a problema for Companys as C1, but…

Maybe, one time in the future, we´ll see a photographic software that can be used for all the photographers needs without jumping from one to another to complete the task and being able to have a standalone versión that will keep working in the installed computer even if the subscription is over.

Til then we´ll just keep looking around.

Keep enjoying

Joerg Thomas Klein
    Joerg Thomas Klein
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: December 5, 2019 at 4:07 pm

I have (maybe had) a similar problem, I came from Apple Aperture and was looking for something similar. At the time looking Adobe started with the renting system and even when I choosed Aperture I couldn’t get warm with Lightroom.

When I dropped Aperture, I started to use Photo Supreme for DAM. As a DAM I find it very powerfull. But the experience with the versions in Aperture which are “only” recipes I missed. You can do version to in Photo Supreme, but they are for “developed” files, so you have the original raw and a new Tiff for example. Some of my friends like this but I can not get really warm with this method. I liked the recipes method and I found it in Capture One which is similar than in Aperture. So now I use Photo Supreme as a DAM and for getting all the metadata in the files and than import them to CO. But for searching Photo Supreme is more powerful than CO. But now I have my recipe versions in CO which is ok for me. I’ with you that the DAM section of CO is a way behind others.

Maybe someone could shine a light on the advantages of working with developed files so that I could understand a reason for doing it this way.

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Javier Santa
    Javier Santa
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: December 6, 2019 at 3:23 pm

Thank you Thomas. I´ll check it out as son as I get back home.

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: October 7, 2020 at 8:39 am

Hi there.

Although I tried to escape from LR, I´m still sticked to it mainly because of its DAM.

In my case it´s holding around 150.000 photographys easily in one catalog, so I don´t need to change catalogs to browse among all of them at a time or start a selection of any kind.

I´ve tried C1 and found it´s a fantastic developer for my taste but its DAM is not able to handle my inceasing number of photographs in one catalog, and On1 and Luminar are still far behind LR (globally) or C1 talking about developing.

I´m quite curious on how someone else is working with C1 relating to browsing and DAM, where hyerarchical keywording is Paramount.

Enjoy

Javier

I switched to C1P from LR about 4 years ago after being continually frustrated with the mediocre quality of LR RAW conversions from my Fuji-X system.

Three years ago, I fulfilled a lifelong desire to own a Leica M with the purchase of a Leica M10. I since sold off all my Fuji X gear (excellent system!) to invest in more Leica kit. (Leica M10, M10-R and SL2 and a variety of lenses). Very happy!

What I discovered early on with my C1P journey was that if you get over about 20,000 images in a C1P reference folder library, the program gets sluggish and annoying. Forget trying to import a 150k+ LR library in to C1P. Even version 20 has this issue.

I broke my LR library of about 130k images (Canon, Fuji and Leica RAW files) into years to keep the C1P catalog size to less than 20k images. My images from 2017 until today are kept in a catalogue for each year. This keeps the speed up, however, I do miss the ability to search across my whole image library like I could do with LR. This is the big drawback from switching to C1P.

My main workstation is a 2 year old iMacPro 8-core with 64GB RAM, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB graphics card, and 2-TB internal SSD. I keep my C1P catalogues in the Picture folder on my internal SSD. My C1P catalogues use referenced folders for my images which reside on a OWC Thunderblade 8TB Thunderbolt 2 connected external drive. The external SSD has a 1,800 MB/s write/read speeds. The factory installed internal SSD has 2,700 MB/s write/read speeds. Even with this fast set up, I have to keep the C1P catalogues to less than 20k images.

A significant advance of C1P order LR is that you can have multiple catalogues open at a time. This make it a little easier to search for images, but definitely a disadvantage compared to LR. The LR Print module is also missed, however, the C1P print function is usable.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.