How does Epson Print Layout determine print resolution?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Topic: How does Epson Print Layout determine print resolution? Read 278 Times
  • Tony Siciliano
    Tony Siciliano
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: June 8, 2024 at 6:33 pm

If I make a soft proof in Lightroom and go to print module choose the resolution I want, then export that photo to Epson Print Layout, I assume that it will print at the resolution I chose in Lightroom. Is this a correct assumption?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: How does Epson Print Layout determine print resolution?
    Reply #1 on: June 8, 2024 at 6:56 pm

As far as I know, yes. That pixels per inch resolution is determined in the image editing application; again, my understanding: the printer software then determines the numerous colour ink dots that will be used to render each pixel’s colour on paper.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: June 9, 2024 at 11:33 am

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2uw6co0yb81l4uhhuxi8z/The-Right-Print-Resolution.pdf?rlkey=w9ncq43ltjffcn9karpq0c41x&dl=0

Schewe talks about what drivers (on various OSs) do above.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024 at 3:04 pm

I noticed that Mr Schewe’s article was published in 2011 which made me curious.

In the last 13 years has anything changed in the print pipeline? .. Do all those numbers and methods still apply with the latest Epson and Canon Printers.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: June 10, 2024 at 3:06 pm

AFAIK, nothing has changed.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

George Stark
    George Stark
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: June 10, 2024 at 4:01 pm

Thank you Mr Rodney … appreciate you time.. I’ve been adhering to those guidelines for many years it’s good to know I’m still doing it correctly. Every now and then I get fooled by technology advancements that are changed without knowing about it and find I’m doing something wrong that was right just a year ago…ha…

Cheers,

George

Tony Siciliano
    Tony Siciliano
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: June 10, 2024 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Andrew and Mark, you are treasures for us all.

Mitchell Freedman
    Mitchell Freedman
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024 at 7:19 pm

Tony – here, here.  Without Andrew and Mark, our collective knowledge base would be dramatically decreased.

mhfinva

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: July 13, 2024 at 4:12 pm

Using Epson Print Layout, you do get a small in yellow type of what DPI the image will be printed at especially if you are taking a small size file and making a bigger-than-normal print.  It will warn you if the print resolution is not correct for the print size.  You may want to look at Imageprint. While it costs a bit, it does a great job of resizing.  Also, I do hold fine art printing classes every few months.  We have a little space left in our October workshop.  You will walk away with a new addiction to printing after the class.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Damaris Yesfir
    Damaris Yesfir
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: July 15, 2024 at 1:18 pm

Hello @Tony Siciliano

The pixel dimensions of the picture file and the chosen print size are used by epson print layout to calculate print resolution. The program determines how many pixels per inch are needed to produce the desired print dimensions when you load an image. Prints with higher ppi values are sharper and more detailed; while prints with lower ppi values may become less clear.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.