High quality Baryta Paper Available

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Topic: High quality Baryta Paper Available Read 36652 Times
  • Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Papers & Media
    on: June 16, 2020 at 10:29 pm

It has come to my attention that Red River Paper has a limited number of rolls, 44 inch by 50 feet each, of its San Gabriel SemiGloss 2.0 remaining in stock. You can see the description of the paper and the pricing here: https://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/san-gabriel-semigloss-fiber-baryta-photo-inkjet-fine-art-paper.html

Readers may recall that I had previously reviewed this paper and determined it to have the look, feel, gamut and print appearance of papers such as Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, Canson Baryta Photographique (the original one), all of which, including this paper are now discontinued for the same reasons. My review of this Red River paper is in this article: https://luminous-landscape.com/red-river-palo-duro-softgloss-palo-duro-etching-san-gabriel-baryta-paper-review/. Scroll down to below Figure 95 – it’s a part of a long article covering a number of papers.

As far as I can tell, this could well be the last remaining stock of any of these great products available anywhere, so I thought I should bring its availability to the attention of potentially interested readers who, like me, may have really enjoyed printing with them for their superb rendition of colour, dark tonal appearance, etc.

Kenneth Sky
    Kenneth Sky
    Participant
    Re: High quality Baryta Paper Available
    Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Mark,

I noticed that Epson Legacy Baryta has been discontinued as well. You alluded to a generic problem. Can you expand?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020 at 6:01 pm

Mark,

I noticed that Epson Legacy Baryta has been discontinued as well. You alluded to a generic problem. Can you expand?

Hi Kenneth,

I believe I have somewhere in this Forum, but for your convenience – one coating facility in Europe serviced a number of versions of basically similar paper. The two issues I’ve heard about is that they made a machinery upgrade which affected the previous recipes, and as well, a chemical mixed with barium sulfate which they were using became unavailable. A number of brands were affected including Epson Legacy Baryta, Ilford GFS, Canson Baryta Photographique, Red River San Gabriel SG 2 and there may have been others.

Kenneth Sky
    Kenneth Sky
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020 at 11:35 am

The pandemic as exposed the same problem in other areas. The weakness of putting all your eggs in one basket to acquire economies of scale leaves the industry vulnerable. Fortunately for me, I’m in Toronto where there is still some old stock available but I hope that by 2021 new product will be on the market.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020 at 11:50 am

This is not related to the pandemic. The problem arose last year and only became apparent to the market once supplier inventories started to be extinguished. Paper mills and coating plants are very capital intensive facilities, extremely large heavy machinery, heavy use of water and energy, stringent QC requirements means high overheads and running costs – there’s a reason why so few plants supply so many paper branders. It’s inevitable.

Where are you finding product in Toronto – I’ve been looking high and low for Baryta Photographique (original) or Ilford GFS but no luck. Instead, I’ve been using Epson Legacy Platine – higher price bracket, but they’ve been putting on frequent 3 for the price of 2 rebate offers which work (with a lag) and make it more affordable.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Mark D Segal.
    Kenneth Sky
    Kenneth Sky
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020 at 2:00 pm

CCBC has limited supply of certain sizes but Henry’s will match their prices on their stock if you deal with one of their salespeople in a bricks & mortar store.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020 at 2:20 pm

None of it at CCBC – I’m on the phone with them frequently; you can buy Canson Baryta Prestige at Henrys – a good paper I had reviewed on LuLa some time ago, but there is no Baryta Photographique (original).

Kenneth Sky
    Kenneth Sky
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: July 2, 2020 at 2:14 pm

I picked up the Epson Legacy Baryta from them

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: July 2, 2020 at 2:18 pm

That’s interesting – when and what size – ‘cuz last time I checked he had none. Maybe he found something – but it is definitely discontinued, like gone, gone, gone – believe me 🙂

Kenneth Sky
    Kenneth Sky
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: July 2, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Sorry I got you confused. Henrys Thornhill store had 8.5 x 11 and 13 x 19 Epson Legacy Baryta. I also used the 3 for 2 promotion.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: July 2, 2020 at 5:09 pm

Ah – OK; they do have it listed as available; if their website is correct it’s probably the last bit of inventory on earth. They say it’s only available for in-store pick-up.  That probably means their warehouse that serves the internet orders has none, so it’s the remaining store stock. It’s kind of pricey (before the rebate) but the rebate brings it back down to earth.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: July 2, 2020 at 7:15 pm

I should mention that Moab now has Juniper Rag Baryta back in stock, after a hiatus due to supply chain issues. It’s a very nice paper – I reviewed it back in 2014 or 15, same product. Pricing is competitive. Tricera.ca sells 25 sheets of A3+ in Canada for $99CAD. In the US B&H lists 100 sheet boxes for USD 289. I ordered a box from Tricera just today to give it a whirl once again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.