High quality Baryta Paper Available

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Topic: High quality Baryta Paper Available Read 35689 Times

High quality Baryta Paper Available
    on: July 2, 2020 at 8:26 pm

Have you had a chance to try the updated Canson Baryta II? I loved the original but haven’t had a chance to order the new stuff yet. Seems like the online shops finally have it, though. If I pick some up soon, I’ll let you guys know. Funds are a little tight…

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: High quality Baryta Paper Available
    Reply #1 on: July 2, 2020 at 8:30 pm

I am testing it and plan to do a write-up not too, too long from now.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 4, 2020 at 7:03 am

I now have both here. The new version (CIBP II) has a smother, but less uniform texture. Below is my attempt to show the difference. CIBP I on the left, CIBP II on the right. To my eyes, CIBP II seems to be whiter, but that may be associated with the way the specular reflections occur on CIBP I; they are warmer. CIBP I has a very even white noise texture, while CIBP II has some “ripples in spacetime” and comes across as if it has a bit higher gloss. First image is a slightly underexposed, second is down 1 stop in Capture One to highlight the difference in texture. Third image is zoomed into the file not quite 100%. The papers are oriented portrait. The first two full-frame images show about 1/2 of each full sheet.

The hand feel is about the same.

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Dave Chew.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: July 5, 2020 at 4:50 pm

I have now started building my inventory of the Canson Baryta II paper and have really been liking what it has been producing.  Good to have my old friend back.  This is my primary go-to paper.

Dave good description.  In the end, I just want the image to look good.  When I printed some files I printed on the previous version to the new version you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.  I found BW looks really good on it.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Reply #4 on: July 7, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Thanks everyone! I’m glad it’s nothing too different.  The first version was my favorite digital paper. I’ve got some printing to do shortly so excited to see how these turn out.

Daniel

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020 at 12:13 pm

I think it’s substantially different. Mark, I look forward to your test.

Baryta Photographique (the original) has been my main paper for the last few years. Nearly everything I have exhibited during that time has been on it. I love the paper, and I wasn’t happy to hear that it has been discontinued. A Canson rep explained that new equipment in the mill can’t replicate the old surface, so they had to design a new one.

I’ve had a box of the new Baryta Photographique II for a couple of weeks. I’ve printed a couple of test shots (the Outback test photo and one of my own) and have compared it to a number of other papers. Looking at prints straight on, with no light coming from the side that causes glare or reveals texture, the prints on the new and old Baryta Photographique seem essentially indistinguishable to me.

On the other hand, the surface is quite different. It’s smoother than the old, with more of an irregular scoring than a pebbling of the surface. That becomes apparent if there is light coming from the side. It may be that this is because I was so used to the old texture, but so far, I haven’t come to like the new texture. I’m still dithering about whether to use it as my go-to paper. I may switch to Platine, which in some respects is more similar to the original Baryta Photographique even though it isn’t a baryta paper. I’m also looking at a few other barytas.

I’ll be interested to hear of other people’s reactions to the new paper.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020 at 1:02 pm

There’s a bunch of paper tests I’m eager to complete but I can’t just now because of a mess created by Apple Computer in the print pipeline. I have become a victim of the “filter failed” issue which prevents prints from reaching the printer. This is definitely an operating system problem persistent and sporadic since 2012 that Apple has failed to correct. I’m trying various workarounds and we’ll see how it goes.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Tommy Weir
    Tommy Weir
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020 at 2:22 pm

I see this mentioned in Apple’s Discussions – https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8284346

I’m sure you’ve probably tried the solution listed in there or something similar, a full deinstall of the Epson driver and printer and then a re-install.  Very frustrating I am sure.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020 at 4:30 pm

I think I have fixed it for now. Lots of steps. I’ll post on Epson printers.

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020 at 1:26 pm

In case it’s of interest to anyone else, I’ve settled on my replacement for the discontinued original Canson Baryta Photographique, which was my standard, after weeks of testing a variety of papers and using a lot of ink. I’m going to use Breathing Color River Stone Rag.

My testing wasn’t entirely rigorous. I printed the Outback test print, always without soft proofing, as a start. That provides some objective information, in particular information about tonal range. I then turned to two images of my own, one of which has a very wide gamut, and the other of which has a great deal of very fine detail. My evaluation of these two was entirely subjective.

I appreciate a final kick in the rear from Mark Segal and Andrew Rodney to focus on OBA-free papers. I was also influenced by Mark’s positive review of the accuracy of Breathing Color River Stone Rag, which I only learned about recently. In the end, it was a contest for me between Riverstone and Canson Platine, which is quite similar even though it’s not a baryta.I like cold-white papers, and Platine is a little colder than River Stone, almost as cold as Baryta Photographique, but the difference is small. I prefer the surface texture of the River Stone, and subjectively, I think images have a bit more pop and depth on that paper than on Platine. I suspect many people wouldn’t notice a difference between the two papers once behind glass.

I’m printing on a Prograf Pro 1000.

One caveat is that all of these comparisons were done with canned profiles from the vendor, so the very slight differences may be in part a function of the profiles. (Breathing Color didn’t have a profile for that paper and my printer on the web, but they had one that they e-mailed me, and they even offered to create a custom profile for me, but I didn’t think it fair to ask for that while I was simply testing the paper.)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020 at 1:42 pm

Hi Daniel – maybe this is just use of English, but I should clarify that when I test papers, it isn’t the accuracy of the paper being tested, but the accuracy of the whole system including the paper – every component that contributes to the measured accuracy of a result – and there are many components, each of which must perform properly to produce good results. Clearly, the profile and the paper have much to do with it, as does the printer, and all the transforms on the way from the file numbers, through the computer’s colour management system and into the printer driver. Lots of math going on there. One can of course isolate notions of relative accuracy by narrowing down the variables being tested between a number of products. So the concept of “all else equal” is meaningful in this area, but that said, the paper alone is not accurate. And vendor profiles are not necessarily made the same way from one to another, so you are correct to mention that as a possible influence on comparative quality.

Another aspect of paper tests I think it important to emphasize, which never gets emphasized enough because we seldom test for it, is the consistency of quality control from one batch of paper to the next. For this we are depending on the reputation of the manufacturer or supplier, because once we invest time and money in mastering the use of a product, we want that product to perform consistently over time. Price is sometimes one indicator of quality, because the more stringent the quality control the more material gets rejected and the cost of that must be recovered in prices. But of course many other factors also enter into price determination, a whole other subject.

Daniel Koretz
    Daniel Koretz
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020 at 3:38 pm

Mark,

Thanks. Point taken. I understood this. My language was just sloppy. Indeed, you show this concretely in your reviews, e.g., by showing that delta E values are often quite different with your profiles than with the manufacturer’s, and in at least one review, you compared gamuts across printers. I should have written something like “This paper is capable of very accurate color representation.”

Re quality control: only time will tell. Given how much Baryta Photographique I have left in various sizes and how much COVID has reduced my printing, I may not know that for a considerable time.

Dan

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.