High Key Minimalism (again)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: High Key Minimalism (again) Read 579 Times
  • Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: April 20, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I have revisited this image many times and am almost happy with it. I am still undecided about 2 things. Firstly the amount of empty space around the image, I have lots more space if I want to use it or could crop closer. I have plenty of pixels (Sony A7R4). I am also undecided about the black point. If I darken the trees the misty mood is lessened although the initial impact is increased. Perhaps when I print it my problem will be resolved. So any thoughts welcome. Ken1-misty-morning-krennie

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Re: High Key Minimalism (again)
    Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Ken,

What a beautiful, emotive image. I think it could use a little more breathing room on the right side, for balance. As for the black point, I like it where it is. But I think you’re right. Holding the print in your hand will give you the answers you seek, Grasshopper.

Paul

John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021 at 8:18 pm

Wonderful image.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021 at 9:59 am

Wonderful image indeed.

When facing such questions as yours about this photograph, Michael Reichmann would often ask, “What is the photograph about?”

I believe the answer is “the mist…”.

Therefore probably more mist and mystery will add not subtract.

Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021 at 10:03 am

Thank you Paul, John and Christopher, more breathing room it will get, definitely on the right but probably a little on the left as well. Ken

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021 at 2:18 pm

Yes, a little room on the right would be good. I think the balance of mist and black point is just right, but as you say, a print will tell you. Perhaps on a nicely textured matt paper?

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021 at 11:16 am

The mist and feel are so strong.  A bit of recovery in the whiter areas would define the texture of the mist.  This is a really nice image.  If you had ever seen the videos of Charlie Cramer and Me making prints, we would have gone back and played with this a bit more.  This image has great potential.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Eric Myrvaagnes
    Eric Myrvaagnes
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I would love to see several more versions of this gorgeous image. I can see adding a little space on left and right, but I feel that playing with the black point or getting a bit more texture in the fog might help a lot, or it might ruin the image. So I’d love to see some variants. It’s certainly a great image as is, but could it be even stronger?

Ken Rennie
    Ken Rennie
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021 at 7:18 am

Thanks everyone, here is a crop with a bit more space. It also slightly darker with a tiny amount of texture added. Altering the background brightness of the image makes a great deal of difference to the perceived brightness of the image. Ken

DSC6311-1-cropped-minimalism-mono-v3-slightly-darker-stroke

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021 at 2:58 pm

I think the second version is an improvement. It’s slightly less ethereal but still wonderfully evocative, and I like the increased clarity in the trees, particularly in the main clump.

A big print would look fantastic (and won’t even use much ink!).

Jeremy

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: May 1, 2021 at 8:56 am

Lovely shot.  I think I’d go “half way” between the first and second. The framing is “more comfortable” in the second, and while I like the added depth, it has lost a bit of the mystery of the first.  I agree, this would make a lovely print…. one I could “live with” for a long time and not tire of enjoying.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.