Head Clog

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Head Clog Read 145 Times
  • Thomas Oostveen
    Thomas Oostveen
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: July 20, 2020 at 10:39 am

Help, I’m a bad boy. I let my Epson 7900 set idle for too long and have serious head clogs. I tried windex and piezoflush. I’m now wondering if I should spend $500 on the piezoflush carts or just cut my loss and dig a hole in the backyard. The closest Epson service center is a 4 hour drive. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Re: Head Clog
    Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020 at 10:52 am

You’re a doubly bad boy for using Windex on that printhead. How long did you let the printer sit unused? What humidity is it sitting in? What kind and frequency of cleaning cycles did you try before going to Windex etc.? Answers to these questions will help indicate whether the print head may be gone. If that were the case it would be best to replace the printer. If not, it can probably be rescued with some time and patience using a sequence of standard routines and no external products. Oh – and can you provide a scan of the latest nozzle check pattern? Let’s see how bad it is.

Mark D Segal
    Author: Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, published by LaserSoft Imaging AG
    https://www.silverfast.com/downloads/92ed080ac1ae274ea6aeed756a504f7a/en.html

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020 at 7:06 am

I don’t know if it’s worth it to you but you could try this if all else fails.  I’m not sure I’d spend $500 and still have an old head if you can get a new one for $1k.

https://epson.com/Accessories/Printer-Accessories/One-Time-Service-Plan—EPWPSP1R24/p/EPWPSP1R24

I just had a visit from a service tech for my 44″ Surecolour P8000 to fix an unremitting clog.  I’m not sure about your model but for mine the tech told me the heads sell for $1500 new (to a customer) so  good deal.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020 at 8:05 am

It’s necessary to understand the context of the problem to get some insight into cause and prognosis. After the OP answers the questions I asked, we may have some better idea of what course of action to recommend. It could be a lot simpler and cheaper than immediately assuming the print head needs to be replaced either alone or in an upgraded printer model.

Mark D Segal
    Author: Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, published by LaserSoft Imaging AG

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020 at 8:35 am

Quite right Mark, that’s why I mentioned … if all else fails.  I just wanted the OP to know of this option as it avoids the hourly service call rate (if he is in the US).  As you know I went through a lot on my P8000 to get to that point.   Perhaps a simpler diagnosis on mine as I only had 1 colour clogged.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020 at 8:46 am

Yes you did mention that. For the benefit of the OP I just wanted to reinforce the point that he should opt for a systematic and detailed process of resolution working from the small stuff onward, as you did.

Mark D Segal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.