Epson Print Layout error

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson Print Layout error Read 440 Times
  • John Doddato
    John Doddato
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: October 5, 2023 at 7:23 pm

I have an Epson SC-P900 and I use the Epson Print Layout for my printing. A few times in the past couple of weeks I get an error message of “Image type not supported”.  I check my image and it meets all the require criteria stated in the error message. The file is saved as a Tiff, the image size is 3448 x 4827 pixels.  It is an RGB file in 16 Bits.  Not sure why I get this message. I am printing a series of images all taken on the same day and for some reason one or two images gives me this error message.  Anyone else ever have this problem and possibly know what I might be doing wrong with the file?

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: Epson Print Layout error
    Reply #1 on: October 5, 2023 at 7:29 pm

I reported this issue to Epson USA in 2020: EPL is able to load TIFFs with LZW or no compression but not TIFFs with Zip compression. Its a bug Epson Japan simply will not address. So check how you’ve saved the TIFF.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Andrew Rodney.
    John Doddato
    John Doddato
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: October 5, 2023 at 7:33 pm

I save my Tiff ties with no compression. I even tried to print using the psd file which I do quite often and still get the error message.  Thanks for your reply.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: October 5, 2023 at 8:09 pm

Did you by any chance do any operating system or application or driver updates between the last successful printing session and the appearance of this problem?

John Doddato
    John Doddato
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: October 5, 2023 at 10:35 pm

Mark,

I have done an upgrade on the Mac operating system and downloaded new Epson drivers recently.  I am able to print one file similar in size and the same file type,  and then the next (different) file I go to print will give me the error message.  Possible I have a few corrupt files that won’t with the layout panel for some reason, but those files will print with PS. Thank, John

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: October 5, 2023 at 11:38 pm

What difference is there between the files that print properly and those that do not?

What version of MacOS did you upgrade to and is it after this that the problems started? Did the problem show up before you upgraded the Epson driver or after?

John Doddato
    John Doddato
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: October 6, 2023 at 10:41 am

I had the problem a few times before I upgraded to Mac Ventura 13.6.  I got an error on the Print Layout to upgrade my  Epson drivers after upgrading the Mac OS.  So I updated the Epson drivers.  Thinking all was OK I started printing my images and ran into the same problem again. Both files were nearly exact in size with RGB color space with 16 bits.  One printed nicely with the Epson Layout and the other gave me the error message.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: October 6, 2023 at 10:44 am

Try switching OFF 16-bit in both the driver interface and the printing application (PS or LR) and see whether that solves the problem. 8-bit printing is fine and can eliminate issues.

John Doddato
    John Doddato
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: October 6, 2023 at 10:45 am

Thanks, I will give that a try and let you know if it solves the problem

John Doddato
    John Doddato
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: October 6, 2023 at 11:54 am

I have found that my files must be corrupt. I had done some masking with the problem files and when I look at the thumbnails on my hard drive I can see that only the masked portion of the image is showing. So now I need to find out why the an image that has a few channel masks created is showing up with a problem.  Digital imaging certainly has a lot of hurtles to jump over compared to my previous film days. Thanks for your help and quick replies. John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.