Epson P900 Extreme use.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson P900 Extreme use. Read 493 Times
  • John Donlan
    John Donlan
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: February 2, 2022 at 3:53 pm

Wonder, did Dano think this up?

Greyscale

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson P900 Extreme use.
    Reply #1 on: February 2, 2022 at 4:10 pm

I’d be surprised, but it’s fun. If only he weren’t using what looks like Premium Luster Photo Paper – ugh.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 2, 2022 at 7:54 pm

On one of our first LuLa Workshops to Antarctica, we had an Epson 3880 and a few Picturmates with us.  Jeff Schewe planned with Epson for the printers.  They got a workout, especially the Picturemates.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: February 2, 2022 at 9:04 pm

Dano is US based.  Don’t think he would have recommended transporting a printer on a trip like this.  I can only imagine what print head alignment must be like right now.

Kevin Raber

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: February 2, 2022 at 9:15 pm

Actually it could be just fine – unless it got really slammed. The internals of those printers are really robust. A bit of rolling around from wave action shouldn’t harm them as long as they didn’t get sprayed with salt-water, but I doubt any one from Epson would corroborate for legal reasons. Think of what happens to them in transit from the place of final assembly to your house, and they normally come out of the box working properly.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: February 2, 2022 at 9:26 pm

But there is no ink in them on shipping.  You would have to lock the print head down.  And, can you imagine baggage handlers.  No, my P900 is staying put in one spot.  It is quite happy there.

Kevin Raber

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: February 2, 2022 at 9:37 pm

There is shipping fluid in them when they are shipped. I’m told that’s largely what gets flushed out when you first charge the machines with ink. And the print head is in locked position when not in use. I can see loading these things onto a tourism vessel more carefully than they get handled in routine shipping. But I agree – all that said it’s likely safer on terra firma. 🙂

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: February 3, 2022 at 12:44 pm

Correct Mark, shipping fluid from the factory, necessary to keep the heads from “drying out” or so I’m told.

But I so have to say, what’s wrong with Luster? <g>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: February 3, 2022 at 1:53 pm

It’s resplendent with OBAs, it has a bluish cast, it’s too reflective, it’s easily crinkled from handling because it lacks adequate heft. Apart from all that it’s great stuff I suppose – been around for over 20 years of people printing with it, so……the market can’t be all wrong, or can it?   🙂  “Chacun a son gout” – so readers know mine.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.