Epson P800: blotchy prints

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson P800: blotchy prints Read 360 Times
  • Jim Newberry
    Jim Newberry
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: February 17, 2023 at 4:09 pm

I’ve been having great results with Epson P800 and Epson Hot Press Bright paper, but just started having this issue–see attached photos. Image edge is sharp in some places, rough/bleeding in others, and image looks blotchy/posterized.

I did a nozzle check, no clogs showing. Image is very high-resolution. I double-checked my print setting in LR (using correct profile, paper settings).

Any ideas what’s going on?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson P800: blotchy prints
    Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023 at 4:39 pm

It looks like you may have been using PK ink on matte paper.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023 at 4:46 pm

Jim

Now the questions will begin.  What software are your printing from?  What is the size and resolution of the file.  Original size and print size?  Does it rpint correctly of different paper?  Have you adjusted in the menu on the printer under printer setting for thick paper?

I would try using a luster lighter weight paper and making a rint to see what happens first, then I would check the paper thickness setting. Make sure matte paper is selected and matte ink MK ink when printing.  It could be printing photoblack on matte paper which can cause this.  It also could be that you might be printing on the wrong side of the paper.

Feel free to send the file to me and I’ll try ptinting here to see if the same results happen.

Kevin

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023 at 6:36 pm

If you’re sure the media and paper profile are good then I think as Kevin said you might be printing on the back of the paper

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023 at 7:10 pm

Three things need to line-up: correct printing side of paper, media type and K ink type. The problem could be any of three, unless the printer developed a fault.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: February 17, 2023 at 7:26 pm

Also, is this a new box of paper?

Jim Newberry
    Jim Newberry
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023 at 7:51 pm

It looks like you may have been using PK ink on matte paper.

Thanks Mark, I think you’re right. Something weird is going on with the print driver.

I have HPB paper loaded in the front fine art feeder. I select HPB as media type, hit OK, save a preset, and close dialog box. Then when I open it again, with the same preset, now it shows sheet feeder selected, and glossy paper. I tried creating a new preset, but this continues to happen, the preset reverts from front fine art/HPB to sheet feeder/glossy.

So I assume the prints I made were with the wrong/glossy setting.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? Delete and reinstall driver? I’m using Lightoom on a Mac (13.2.1), Epson print driver 12.6.2, printer connected by USB, not Airprint.

Screenshot-2023-02-17-at-3.40.07-PM
    Screenshot-2023-02-17-at-3.40.47-PM

Jim Newberry
    Jim Newberry
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023 at 9:01 pm

UPDATE: I deleted the printer driver, deleted all the Epson prefs I could find my both Mac library folders, restarted the computer, did a fresh install of the Epson driver, and now it’s working normal: the settings I make with the Epson driver via Lightroom stick, and feeder/media type no longer change of their own accord.

Just made a print on HPB, and it looks fine. Thanks Mark and everyone who replied.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: February 18, 2023 at 10:35 am

You are welcome. Glad t all worked out. What you did is often the best approach to solving such issues – without having to worry about why they happen in the first place. Not unusual that  system and software upgrades have a way of messing things up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.