Epson Legacy Baryta II

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Epson Legacy Baryta II Read 6242 Times
  • Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Papers & Media
    on: January 12, 2023 at 12:36 pm

I did a search to see if anyone had commented on this paper.  Came up with nothing, so I’ll ask the question.  So far, I’ve been singularly unimpressed with the “version II” baryta papers.  Has anyone used / tested this Epson “version II”?

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Epson Legacy Baryta II
    Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023 at 12:41 pm

My article on this paper is due to be published any day now. Stay tuned.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023 at 12:50 pm

Mark,

Wonderful!  Thanks in advance for your work that benefits all of us!

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023 at 12:51 pm

You are welcome.

I think the article will address your concern.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023 at 11:00 pm

Mark,

As usual, a wonderful job on the testing and reporting.  Outstanding work.   I have a box of 17×22” sheets of Legacy Baryta II ordered and am excited to try it out. I think, based on your article, I’m going to give it a go with the OEM profile for my 7570 printer, for starters.

One thing not mentioned in the article (appropriately, I think) is how the Baryta II compares “visually” in terms of surface, with the original Baryta.  And for that matter, how the new Epson Baryta II compares visually in terms of surface, with Canson Baryta Photographique II.   Any comments?  You may remember that I didn’t much like the Canson paper as an alternative to their original – even though it’s a good paper in its own right.

Thanks again for all the work you go to in order to provide this valuable information!

Best regards,

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #5 on: January 16, 2023 at 10:03 am

Hi Rand, glad you enjoyed the review.

I’d say the Baryta II surface texture has slightly more “tooth” than the original Legacy Baryta, and is slightly warmer. But the differences are subtle.

Much more obvious, the Canson Baryta Photographique II is smoother and flatter than Legacy Baryta II.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: January 16, 2023 at 10:43 am

I’ll be doing some printing tests in the next week.  Just got a box of Canson Baryta Matte to try out too.  I’ll try to do images and light them so we can see the difference.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: January 16, 2023 at 10:55 am

You’re talking Canson matte paper, but Rand and I were talking about luster – two PKs,. not an MK vs. a PK.  Canson matte will have an obviously narrower gamut and much brighter Black Point, statistically.

Rand Scott Adams
    Rand Scott Adams
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: January 16, 2023 at 11:04 am

Mark,

Thanks for that description.   Exactly what I was looking for.   Much appreciated.

Rand

Rand Scott Adams Rand47

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: January 16, 2023 at 11:20 am

You are welcome. I shall be interested in your views of the Legacy Baryta II once you’ve had a chance to use it.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #10 on: January 16, 2023 at 2:45 pm

I’ll be doing some printing tests in the next week.  Just got a box of Canson Baryta Matte to try out too.  I’ll try to do images and light them so we can see the difference.

BTW Kevin, you may recall I did a review of that Canson Matte you are looking at back in ’21 when it came out, which is here: https://photopxl.com/canson-baryta-photogrphique-ii-matt-cbp2m/

It will be interesting to see once you’ve done your homework with this paper whether your observations cohere more or less with mine in that article.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #11 on: January 16, 2023 at 10:51 pm

Mark, I’ll obviously let you know.  I am printing a few images on all the different paper surfaces so I have them for the upcoming workshops.  So much to do.  I’m still in love with the Legacy Fiber.  Such a great surface for displaying prints.  It handles BW really nice too.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.