Ditching Your Laptop for an iPad Before Hitting the Road

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Ditching Your Laptop for an iPad Before Hitting the Road Read 391 Times
  • Carlos San Miguel
    Carlos San Miguel
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: June 10, 2022 at 2:47 pm

I returned from a one month trip two weeks ago and also decided to ditch the laptop, so I took  my iPad Pro 12″

My cameras were a Leica Q2 Monochrom and a Leica M10r with a 50mm Canon f/0.95. I only used the m10r for less than 20 shots. I used a 128gb SD card tat was enough for all my photos.

Mi process was:
    Download SD card every night to the iPad. I used and SD dongle I purchased at the apple store.
    Sync to adobe cloud overnight.
    When I got back home I synced the aadobe cloud photos to a new LR library on my desktop.
    All my edits where done on the iPad with LR.
    You can see some of the photos on ig @lacamaranomada

Saludos 🙂

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Re: Ditching Your Laptop for an iPad Before Hitting the Road
    Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022 at 4:20 pm

“some people express concern that a 65-watt adapter could fry an iPad”

Just a point of clarity:

Any device will only draw the current (amps) it needs no matter how much is available from an adaptor or other source.  It is not the power available (watts) that is crucial, it is the volts.  Too high a voltage will almost certainly fry whatever device it is connected to.

So, look for the volts required by the device and for the volts being supplied. 

Thankfully, the USB bus is standardised at 5 volts so any device that can connect to USB should be safe.

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Ditching Your Laptop for an iPad Before Hitting the Road
    Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022 at 4:26 pm

The one option not mentioned in this article is to not use an iPad at all, but rather one of Apple’s new sleek lightweight laptops. Their form factor approaches that of a laptop and you can do everything with them, easily. I do have an iPad Pro which I used on photo shoot in France and Germany in 2019 and it was fine. I downloaded the files using an SD card, and transferred them to my desktop computer when I returned home. I was not interested in any image editing on an iPad as I only edit photos in a fully colour-managed workflow, which excludes both pads and laptops. Since then I bought a new MacBook Pro Silicon (M1). It’s not my imagination, but a photo colleague who came to my house and saw it remarked that from a travel perspective there’s no point using an iPad when one has this available, which is so thin and light has far superior photo handling capability in every which way. I hope to be able to travel overseas again later this year, depending on the situation with diseases and airports, and if I do, all the photography will be handled with the MacBook Pro.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.