C1 21 – Upgrade, license?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Topic: C1 21 – Upgrade, license? Read 35118 Times
  • John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Capture One
    on: October 25, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Many thanks to Kevin – I’ve made the transition from Lightroom to C1 20 pro.  Love it.  Now we are asked to upgrade to C1-21.  C1-20 seems to do everything I want.  I love the color tools!  etc.!  But I have questions:

1) What are the new capabilities in C1-21?

2) How do the financials play out.  Buy the one-time license vs convert to the subscription?  (I’m not interested in presets, thank you.)  For the amateur photographer – what about skipping every other upgrade?  After all, many professional Adobe users are quite t happy using older versions.  At what point do we really need the latest version?

I expect I will end up buying a c1-21 license (because c1-20 is SO GOOD) or converting to the subscription.  But I’d like to hear other opinions.

In addition, while I shoot with a Sony today, I have a pile of Nikon, DNG, and old JPEG images.  Why should I have to pay extra, as much as 2x extra, because I have multiple types of RAW files!  C1 needs to provide one software for all RAW files!

JSS

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by John Sadowsky.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: C1 21 – Upgrade, license?
    Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020 at 7:36 am

I am still evaluating the beta of C1 so not much I can say other that what I see will be enough for me to the upgrade.  I’ll have more to share and say about it in the near future.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Tommy Weir
    Tommy Weir
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020 at 9:41 am

John

There’s a universal version of C1, for all cameras,  it does cost twice as much but given the plethora of cameras in my past (and present…) I’ve never considered just settling on the Fuji version (my main two).

I’ve owned it for the past 6 years and I’ve found that each upgrade is about 100 a year after the initial purchase, this year a bit more even with the pre-order discount.   Each upgrade has been really solid, new features, new small enhancements, a sense of steady refinement as it develops.  Its a marvellous application, and each year when the email lands, I don’t relish forking over the cash but I’m content to do so, all things considered.

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020 at 2:13 pm

I am still evaluating the beta of C1 so not much I can say other that what I see will be enough for me to the upgrade.  I’ll have more to share and say about it in the near future.

History palette? Please say yes!

Jeremy

Richard Marcellus
    Richard Marcellus
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020 at 6:50 pm

The price difference between the yearly upgrade and the subscription are pretty close now, but I prefer to buy it every year. If you are curious about what is coming you can sign up to be a beta tester, but of course you will then be under a CDA and can’t discuss the new features here.

I find with C1P that there are usually good, and free, midterm upgrades so what you get with your purchase or subscription will likely be more than you see this Nov/Dec when v21 should come out.

Richard

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020 at 11:56 am

The price difference between the yearly upgrade and the subscription are pretty close now, but I prefer to buy it every year.

The liscense cost is $159, or $127 with the 20% pre-order discount.  You can switch-to-subscription for $126 which is a preorder discount relative to the $180 annual subscription.  So, as Richard says, the cost of liscense vs. subscription is a wash IF you take advantage of the pre-order discounts.  However, I assume that the $126 pre-order switch-to-subscription only applies to the first year, and reverts to the full $180 annual fee after that.  So assuming they will continue to offer 20% pre-order discounts for future liscense upgrades (and that upgrades come like clockwork every year), the liscence option is 20% cheaper forever.  Right?

Buying the liscence only every-other upgrade seems like a cost saver – but is it?  My first purchase was C1P-20 in Dec. 2019 for $300.  If I skip C1P-21 and wait for C1P-22 next year, they likely won’t be offered a 20% preorder discount for an uprade from C1P-20 to 22 – or worse, they might treat it as a new purchase at the ~$300 price, which means you save essentially nothing.  Does anybody know that policy upgrades from earlier versions?  It’s probably not a good idea.

I think I’ll pre-order the liscense upgrade.

JSS

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: November 1, 2020 at 10:49 pm

The price difference between the yearly upgrade and the subscription are pretty close now, but I prefer to buy it every year. If you are curious about what is coming you can sign up to be a beta tester, but of course you will then be under a CDA and can’t discuss the new features here.

I find with C1P that there are usually good, and free, midterm upgrades so what you get with your purchase or subscription will likely be more than you see this Nov/Dec when v21 should come out.

Richard

Me too. At the end of the year, if for whatever reason I can’t renew a subscription or (heaven forbid!) the company goes out of business, I have licensed software I can still use. There are more reasons than that, but to me it’s the difference between paying a mortgage and paying rent. If you move out of your apartment you stop paying rent, but you have whatever you went into it with: nothing. Other are welcome to see things differently! I’m glad that Corel, Capture One, Microsoft and others offer both options. If Adobe was still offering software for purchase I might still be using Lr, but that ship has sailed. ⛵

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Oliver Ritter-Wolff
    Silver Member
    Reply #7 on: November 5, 2020 at 8:39 am

… I have ordered the update to v21 with a 20% discount. I am curious what is included. A few more possibilities in the library for searching would be nice. Also overall views of the photos on library or album level, as it is also possible in LR, would be a nice thing.

Oliver

https://www.riwodot.de

https://vero.co/riwodot

https://www.instagram.com/riwodot/

John Sadowsky
    John Sadowsky
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: November 7, 2020 at 12:54 am

I also purchased C1-21 with the preorder discount.  I don’t know what I bought.  If I wait to find out … I’ll lose the discount.

Nonetheless, we need to be aware that these kinds of software applications hit a point of diminishing returns.  C1-20 already is a pretty awesome package.  When we evaluate C1-21, we should always ask how this particular image is better having been processed in C1-21 rather than C1-20.  What’s the improvement? A history view?  There is going to have to be a lot more than that to impress me.  The time is coming that paying ~$150 per year for upgrades just won’t make any sense.  I hope C1-21 will prove me wrong!

Of course, the Adobe pricing model makes even less sense, especially since Lr is such an inferior product compared to C1.  I’m still glad I switched over.

JSS

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #9 on: November 9, 2020 at 8:25 am

I switched to their subscription pricing when I upgraded to v20. Testing the beta v21 for the past few weeks and I’m impressed. The new version will be an automatic update when officially released, probably later this month.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

Michael Spear
    Michael Spear
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020 at 11:23 am

I also bought the $157 Up Grade. The up grades have been getting more expensive all the time. In Oct 2017 I upgraded from C1 Pro 9 to C1 Pro 10 for $99.00. In July of 2011, Capture One Express 6 was $64.00.

I have been very happy with the upgrades that Capture One has put out over the years and IMHO there post processing is the best. What I would like to see in future upgrades is a key word/meta database like LR. Also on the wish list is a print module like PS. I am a PC user and Proofing and Printing in PS is a breeze. I rarely print the same size twice and making a template for every print is nonsense.

John, after reading your post, I visited the C1 site and realized that if you are a Canon shooter, you are forced to buy the Pro version. It made me wonder if you converted Canon RAWs to Adobe DNGs would the cheaper version of “For Nikon” version process the DNGs. Not sure what Adobe DNG converter stripes out the RAW files. I shoot primarily with Nikon, but I still have Canon cameras. They surely must have thought that part through.

On the other hand if C1 had a for Canon  you could still by the Nikon and Canon set cheaper than the Pro version. 158.00 vs 299.

Regards

Michael Spear

Michael Spear
    Michael Spear
    Participant
    Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020 at 11:25 am

Make the $258 vs $299

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.