Article: Steam Engines & 50R

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Article: Steam Engines & 50R Read 962 Times
  • Dave Chew
    Dave Chew
    Silver Member
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: August 14, 2019 at 5:41 am

Lou,

Wonderful article and beautiful photos! The b&w really highlights the steam and you have processed them well to show it off. Must have been quite the experience, especially after “being the engineer” last year. And, good timing with the snow! Yet another addition to my bucket list, which has grown to a 55-gal rain barrel list.

A few questions: how many photographers are there at the event? Are you elbow to elbow or is it pretty relaxed? You mentioned bringing the technical camera too. Did it come out of the bag at all?

Dave

How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir
    https://www.davechewphotography.com
    Find legacy Schneider-Kreuznach Apo-Digitar lens data here: https://www.davechewphotography.com/skdata/

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Article: Steam Engines & 50R
    Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019 at 8:39 am

I agree Dave, another fabulous article from Louis Foubare. What strikes me most is the quality of the compositions. The structural lines of the photographs are truly very well-conceived, and as you mention, the image processing is superb. Properly handling the dynamic range of such photos is important to their success, and to see both the highlight and shadow detail so well developed is very satisfying – the hallmark of a photographer who really knows what he is doing to great effect.

Louis – publish a small book of them? You’ve got one committed sale right here and now!

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Magnificent! Many thanks for sharing this.

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Thanks everybody. You are getting me fired up for another article so watch out!

Dave if I recall there were about 25 of us, but it seemed less until we all ot back into the passenger car for the next stop.  At times others were next to me out on the mainline, but in the yard and engine house (except for that first night where snows drove us inside) we were 2 or 3 together.

As for he tech cam I used it in the engine house he first night where items were static, but the rest of the time I found an AF camera was best for me.  If there had been no snows the first night a static setting would be perfect for a tech cam.

David Good
    David Good
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019 at 1:38 pm

Thanks for sharing that interesting storyline along with those gorgeous photos.  I agree that these are much more dramatic in b&w, a real joy to view. Looking forward to more of your articles.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019 at 2:07 pm

As others have said, really beautiful work. Thanks much for sharing!!

When I was a kid living in Ottawa the Museum of Science and Technology had several steam trains inside and kids were allowed to climb all over them (or at least mostly tolerated). There used to be a run from Ottawa up to the Gatineau Hills in Quebec as well but I have no idea if that’s still in operation.

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

larry angier
    larry angier
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019 at 7:54 pm

+1, well done Louis!

When I’m traveling through eastern Nevada, despite how many times I’ve stopped and photographed at the Ely rail yards, I still need to get out to get new images. Great place for still lives but best of all for timeless steam rail action!

--
    Larry Angier
    In the Heart of the Mother Lode of California

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.