Zeiss lenses and digital backs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Zeiss lenses and digital backs Read 976 Times
  • Jeff Sully
    Jeff Sully
    Participant
    Medium Format
    on: December 18, 2019 at 8:22 am

I need some advice. I am currently using a V system Hasselblad with Zeiss T* lenses – 50mm; 80mm; 150mm; 250mm. The 150mm in particular is the finest lens I have ever used. Wanting to go digital medium format, I have a conundrum. Many of these lenses are quite heavy, as well as the body and backs. As a side note, I was in Portugal with my 7D and two lenses. Even with a small pack, the weight was starting to become noticeable. The full Hasselblad setup in my ThinkTank 45L is also become a major workout for these old bones. I have wanted to lighten the load as they say. The digital back that works with the V system looks attractive, particularly with the pending 907X. Not being familiar with the Nitoh lenses, I’m deeply wedded to the Zeiss lenses. Has anyone had any experience with these older lenses and digital backs? Or does going digital require the need for lenses specifically design for digital? Or should I just part ways with my beloved V System and go with the X1D II? Despite my ramblings, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Zeiss lenses and digital backs
    Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019 at 8:53 am

Tough call.  I’d like to see the new V Hassy first.  I also question the X1D II.  I know a few photographers that went to the X1d platform and while they seemed happy in the beginning they have sort of slowed down their enthusiasm.  Based on what I hear in the industry there is a lot of migration to the Sony a7r iv.  I own that camera and the images I have made compared to the GFX 100 are astonishing.  The frame rate, system weight and availability of some fine glass make it really nice.  The 200-600 is next on my wish list.  The glass on all these systems is really good.  I remember the day where weight didn’t matter.  Now I am feeling the pain of heavy systems.  My Sony kit is the 12-24, 16-35mm,  24-105mm the 100-400mm.  I have the 70-200mm but hardly ever take it out anymore.  It works for me and some of the long trips I take.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeff Sully
    Jeff Sully
    Participant
    Re: Zeiss lenses and digital backs
    Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for the advice, Kevin. I know Sony has been on a hot streak the past year. I will take a look at it and maybe keep the Hasselblads for Velvialand and car camping 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.