Workforce printers showing new ink cartridges depleted after little use

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Workforce printers showing new ink cartridges depleted after little use Read 271 Times
  • Benjamin Cowles
    Benjamin Cowles
    Participant
    Epson Printers
    on: August 8, 2022 at 5:56 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ink-Cartridge-212XL-220XL-288XL-410XL-702XL-High-Yield-for-Epson-printer-Lot-/125341141321?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Why according to my printers do these aftermarket cartridges deplete their ink so rapidly when I haven’t even used them other than for a few test prints? I’ve got a WF-2630 and a WF-2760. The ones from the pic would be my second set, the first did the same thing, now two of them are useless apparently while the other two are almost completely depleted. I have another set of cartridges coming in the mail. Is it the printers or the after market inks?

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Re: Workforce printers showing new ink cartridges depleted after little use
    Reply #1 on: August 8, 2022 at 8:54 am

I’ve owned WF series printers in the past and never seen this kind of problem, but I only used Epson certified OEM inks. Since then, because of the ridiculously high cost of those printer cartridges, I replaced my last WF printer with an ET-2760 (Ecotank model). It’s a real miser on ink and the ink levels just stay so high. I can’t see these inks being depleted at least over the two years Epson says the initial fill should normally last. Quite remarkable, and good value, given that before the ET series the cost of ink could run into multiples of the cost of the printer – and that is with normal operation, not the extreme depletion scenario you describe. One wonders in your case whether it is really the ink depleting, or defective design/manufacture of the cartridge chip communicating correct information between the cartridge and the printer. Simple solution: buy Epson inks.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Benjamin Cowles
    Benjamin Cowles
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: August 8, 2022 at 8:55 am

It wasn’t printing anything with new aftermarket cartridges so I pushed the alcohol through the top with a syringe and tube, took a day with rubber bands to hold pressure on the syringit was that clogged, installed cartridges, system went through “preparing the ink system” then screen went blank and since then haven’t been able to turn it back on. Idk if the cleaning had anything to do with it. I put paper towel under the printhead to absorb the alcohol but maybe some got through to parts it shouldn’t have? I wouldn’t imagine that would be an issue. Anyone have any ideas? Might there be a reset switch/method to this machine? Thanks

Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: August 8, 2022 at 9:02 am

Normally I would recommend that you call Epson tech support and let them guide you through whatever solutions may be workable over the phone, service for which they do not charge. At least here in North America, if that is where you are located, they are pretty good at that. I am not an Epson company person, so what I am telling you here is an objective reality – what I just said may or may not be doable. Once you use non-Epson cartridges all bets are off in respect of both sthe printer and its support. Perhaps they will provide you with their usual phone support, but perhaps they will tell you that they can’t help once you’ve used 3rd-party inks in their printers when they specifically advise to use only genuine Epson inks. Of course that is in their commercial interest, but it may also be in the customers’ interest. Only way to know for sure is to try calling them and see what happens.

Mark D Segal Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8, SilverFast HDR, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop". Please check the PhotoPXL Store for availability.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.