Windmills

Viewing 9 posts - 13 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Windmills Read 5180 Times
  • Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Windmills
    on: May 2, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Sorry guys, I don’t subscribe to the “burning earth” religion. I remember things like Leif Erikson’s Vinland, when at least that part of the earth was much warmer. I also remember the “little ice age,” in the medieval era. I also had an aunt who was a PhD geologist and head of the geology department at a major university and her husband, my uncle, who was like a second dad to me and an eminent geophysicist. Both were convinced we were on the verge of a new ice age. They could with reason explain the science behind their convictions.

The earth gets warmer and it gets colder. This has been going on since the beginning. The panic going on now exists because we have communication facilities like TV, the internet, etc., that have been put to use as propaganda machines by those who profit from the result. Yes, statistics don’t lie, but statisticians do. I think our bird-killing windmills are an abomination that later generations are going to regret.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Russ Lewis.
    Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Re: Windmills
    Reply #1 on: May 3, 2022 at 1:16 pm

No fun statistics (I won’t call them fun facts) – estimated

– Birds killed in Germany p.a. in windmills: 100K

– Birds killed in Germany p.a. due to banging against building windows: 18M

– Birds killed p.a. by cats in the US: > 1B

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Erik Brammer. Reason: Typo
    John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: May 3, 2022 at 2:21 pm

Windmills are much better than coal which has caused/contributed to many deaths due to the nasty pollutants, even if you don’t care about global warming:

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/coal-power-impacts

https://www.ucsusa.org/resources/coal-and-air-pollution

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: May 3, 2022 at 2:25 pm

That, plus we better be concerned about global warming. Those that deny that it is caused by mankind are the ones fearing adverse economic consequences. My take.

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: May 3, 2022 at 3:08 pm

Erik, as far as the bird-kill statistics are concerned, I notice they didn’t categorize the kills by variety of bird. I know a lot of sparrows and robins smack into windows. One time one of my favorite and most beautiful humming birds did that and died.

But windmills are killing migratory birds at a great rate. They’re killing eagles too. When it comes to cat kills, I suspect it may be the other way around for the bald eagle. Wonder how many cats they get every year.

Do you suppose people were wringing their hands over global warming in Leif Erickson’s day? Must have been the pollution that let him set up Vinland.

And John, you can believe anything you want to, but remember that though figures don’t lie, liars figure. Statistics like the ones to which you linked are suspect at best. To top it off, there’s a plea to “de-escalate nuclear tensions.” They’re suggesting that be done with diplomacy. Sure. Oh, and these statistics and arguments come from the “Union of Concerned Scientists.” When they started they invited me to join. Then I saw their “non lying” figures. I didn’t join.

John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: May 3, 2022 at 4:32 pm

Russ, we will have to agree to disagree.  I’m going to stick with the scientists.

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: May 3, 2022 at 5:01 pm

Here’s the thing about science. It doesn’t care about our politics or opinions. It is what it is. The world is warming dangerously and we’re already experiencing the consequences. You could argue the role humans play in it but I would challenge any climate denier to prove that it isn’t worse because of human activity. And as previously pointed out, pollution alone has killed enough people to warrant abandoning fossil fuels. It’s sad about the birds, but think of all the fish being killed by the plastic in the ocean? At least the windmills are providing a benefit. The trash in the ocean doesn’t.

Christopher Sanderson
    Christopher Sanderson
    Gold Member
    Reply #7 on: May 3, 2022 at 5:33 pm

Having agreed to disagree, could we move on to subjects photographic? Or perhaps move the discussion to Topical Debate

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #8 on: May 3, 2022 at 7:49 pm

I think Chris is right. But here are two parting thoughts: (1) If you think science always is right, check this article in Scientific American. (2) My aunt and uncle were scientists. They were wrong.

And I’m outa here.

Viewing 9 posts - 13 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.