Which printer?

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Which printer? Read 653 Times
  • Jonathan Cross
    Jonathan Cross
    Participant
    Canon Printers
    on: July 27, 2021 at 4:11 am

I have just changed my desktop from a 9 year old PC running Windows 10 to the new 24″ iMac.  I printed on a Canon 9500Mk2 and have profiles for it.  Canon do not have a 64-bit driver for the Mac as this printer is no longer supported. It looks like I need a new printer.

In a recent article, Kevin has written, “ I don’t believe a photo is complete until you are holding it in your hand.”  I agree with this, but am finding that the printer world is not easy to navigate.  I am after a pigment ink A3+ (13″ x 19″) photo printer.  If it works by wifi that’s even better.  Canon only seem to have the Pro Graf Pro 300 and the Pro 200. The former is a bit too expensive for me, and the latter appears to be a dye printer.   I am happy to consider Epson but know little about them.  The only downside is that I have a Canon paper writing to be used!

There is also the issue of drivers and profiles.  I am not finding it easy to see if the printers have drivers for the 24″ Mac.  I use both Canon and Permajet papers and have profiles for the latter.  I am happy to contact Permajet, but only if I have some idea of which printer is best to get.

It is all a bit of a mine field.  If anyone has any advice (Kevin?), I would appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Jonathan (in UK)

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Re: Which printer?
    Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021 at 6:01 am

I can’t speak for Epson but I’ve been very happy with Canon printers over the years and, although not manufactured any more, the PRO-1 is excellent.

If you’re familiar with Canon printers why not stick with them ?  The PRO-10S looks good.

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021 at 8:22 am

Hello Simon,  I use Canon and Epson.  I also use Imageprint to drive all my printers.  Simplicity and great results each and every time.

I print with Epson and Canon printers and once our new studio is done we will be offering fine art printing classes where you have access to 4 different printers.

As fas a Canon goes I have the Pro 1000.   https://bhpho.to/2DDCoPG. and it just works.  I also have the pro 2000 now replaced by the Canon Pro 2100. https://bhpho.to/2TIt2KA

On the Epson side I have found that Epson P900 to be my main goto printer It works and works and haven’t had clogs and it does great wirelessly especially using Epson Print Layout.

I also have an Epson et-8550 printer but is dye inks.  This printer really impresses me.  I have an article 50% finished as well as a video on its little beauty.  Look for it in the next week

So based on my working experience the Epson p900 would be my choice. https://bhpho.to/3n0FZsE. You may want to look at ImagePrint RED to drive it and Epson Print LAyout.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Simon Simpson
    Simon Simpson
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021 at 9:05 am

Hi Kevin.

There are some excellent printers around now, both Epson and Canon.  Confusing for potential purchasers.  I’ve stuck with Canon mostly through familiarity but also hearing horror stories from Epson users of older printers (but these were A3+).

The PRO-1 is terrific.  If I had space, and an amenable wife, I would like to have the PRO-1000.  I only managed to get the PRO-1 by hiding it in the garage and then sneaking it into our flat when she was out.  The twist in this tale is that I used the printer for over two years, in full sight of my wife, before I told her what I’d done but she revealed she hadn’t even noticed that I’d bought a new printer !

I am very envious of your lovely new studio space; and may I say welcome  ?

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Thanks, Simon, I hope that many readers will have a chance to visit sometime.  I am lucky I have an understanding wife and one who is most encouraging.  She is very excited about the new space and I couldn’t have done it without her.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Bud James
    Bud James
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021 at 6:41 am

I’ve been a big fan of Epson printers for years. I sold my 5 year old P800 last year and purchased a P900. Wow! What a printer. Highly recommended, especially if you like to print B&W images.

Regards,
    Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at http://www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto

J. D. Ramsey
    J. D. Ramsey
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021 at 9:00 pm

I got tired of constantly clogging channels on Epson (I still have an Epson 4900 for B/W piezography) but I switched to a Canon image prograf 4100 for my larger prints.  So far no issue with clogging and if there’s a difference between the more recent Surecolor printers and the Canon, I can’t readily see it.  Each is stronger in certain colors, but the overall impact of the prints is excellent on both.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.