Which Camera App

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Which Camera App Read 235 Times
  • Dan Kabat
    Dan Kabat
    Participant
    Mobile and Cell Phone Photography
    on: September 24, 2023 at 5:56 pm

Currently use iPhone 14PRO and the bulk of the time use the iPhone native camera app on RAW plus 48mp.  Also, use Lightroom Classic and have all iPhone images automatically downloaded to my desktop.

Using the iPhone native camera I get RAW photos with sizes as expected up to the 48mp.  Downside is that I am unable to use LrC DeNoise AI on these files.  Have tried the Lightroom Mobile camera app and works fine except all I get are the 12mp images, NO 48mp.  The upside is that I can use the DeNoise in LrC.

Are the any apps out there where I can get the large images sozes plus being able to use DeNoise AI?

Thanks

Dan

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Re: Which Camera App
    Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023 at 7:07 pm

There are a number of files, especially DNG that doi not work with the AI denoise at this time.  I would bet that Adobe and the LR team will be adding DNG files in the future to the denoise AI section.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

John Schwaller
    John Schwaller
    Participant
    Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023 at 7:47 pm

DNG works if its base is the original, true RAW, file.  If it is  a DNG TIF file, it won’t.  I believe Adobe’s design for AI Denoise was mosaic files.  Whether they extend it to demosaic is unknown.  They have stated a desire to perform the AI denoise without creating an intermediate DNG file…which would be great!

Dan Kabat
    Dan Kabat
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023 at 8:12 pm

Thank you both for your responses, however, I think I miscommunicated.  I understand that Denoise does not work on the iPhone RAW files. It does however work on the LR camera created RAW files.  The downside of using the LR camera is that it only creates 12mp files while the iPhone camera creates up to 48 mp files.

My question is whether there is an iPhone app that has a camera that will produce both the  higher mp counts as well as being available for DeNoise.

Dan

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023 at 9:35 pm

Maybe the iPhone 15 Pro Does.  I got mine yesterday and I’ll try it out.  There are two different size of raws.  I think the difference between the Adobe LR camera and Apple is  that Apple uses a ProRes Raw.  I’m sure the engineers Adobe may be working on a solution.  Just lie I am hoping they take LR to the next step and do Sharpening AI.  Let’s see where all this goes.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023 at 12:11 pm

First, DNG doesn’t equal (mosic) raw.

Denoise demystified

Denoise is currently supported only for Bayer and X-Trans mosaic raw files, but we’re looking into ways to support other photo formats in the future.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.