Upgrading to Catalina

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Topic: Upgrading to Catalina Read 555 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    General
    on: September 17, 2020 at 4:18 am

I have an iMac Pro, currently running Mojave (10.14.6). I use LR and PS, under Adobe’s photography plan, so they’re always bang up to date, with some Topaz and Nik plugins, again up to date. I print to Epson 3800 and 7500.

I’m wondering about upgrading to Catalina, which I imagine should be pretty stable by now (the motivation is to use the latest version of Xcode, which won’t run under Mojave). Has anyone (a) had any problems with Catalina or (b) any tips before I do?

Jeremy

Brian Kimball
    Brian Kimball
    Participant
    Re: Upgrading to Catalina
    Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Download St Clair Software’s free “Go64” tool and use it to scan for 32-bit applications that won’t work in Catalina:

https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/

On my system, after years of Adobe upgrades they left some 32-bit helper app cruft in my applications folder but I found those can be safely ignored.  A full uninstall/reinstall of Adobe’s suite resulted in zero 32-bit applications.

If nothing else of interest pops up, go ahead with the upgrade but make sure you set aside time afterward to go through all of your applications and get their security settings up to date.  You will see a LOT of prompts initially about applications wanting access to your Desktop folder, or Downloads, or full disk access, or whatever.  Might as well launch all your apps and get those prompts out of the way.  More info:

https://www.howtogeek.com/443611/how-macos-catalinas-new-security-features-work/

Over the years I’ve seen others be frustrated by macOS upgrades hosing their printer drivers & settings.  I don’t print so I can’t comment on that aspect.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Brian Kimball.
    Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020 at 2:54 pm

As you know I have a number of MACs and I have had no issues upgrading.  Once in awhile I was prompted to update some of the older programs I was using but that has been about it.  for what you are using mostlu the upgrade should go easily.  And, as you know I would tell you since I say it all the time, what took you so long?

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020 at 4:31 am

My main concern was a vague memory that previous system upgrades had interfered with colour management when printing.

Ah, Kevin, I’m just getting old and timid. In my youth, I’d have had the beta installed 18 months ago.

Jeremy

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020 at 10:53 am

There’s no issue I am aware of with respect to Catalina with color management when printing.

There is a new, odd behavior of the ColorSync utility when printing targets which isn’t a necessary use; stick with Adobe Color Print Utility.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020 at 1:19 pm

Thanks, Andrew. I shall upgrade!

Jeremy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.