“The Scanning Project”: YES!!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: “The Scanning Project”: YES!! Read 1176 Times
  • Michael Sebastian
    Michael Sebastian
    Participant
    New Article Announcements & Discussions
    on: October 8, 2019 at 6:49 pm

I’d love to have this series. I’m in a similar boat, with four decades of film to scan.

Alan Klein
    Alan Klein
    Participant
    Re: “The Scanning Project”: YES!!
    Reply #1 on: October 8, 2019 at 7:33 pm

I started scanning when I started shooting film again a few years ago.  Then when I moved 6 years ago, I scanned my old 35mm slides after selecting the ones that mattered.  I use an Epson V600.  I created electronic slide shows on DVD’s and memory cards using a video post processing program, PS Premiere Elements,  with music, captions, titles, and credits.  I show these on my UHDTV which displays very well or on computer monitors. Some I’ve posted on Youtube so I can take the slide show with me or let people just dial it up.  I do create these slide shows with digital photos as well.  My old 35mm projector is broken, so this process seems to work for me.  Scanning is a learning process, if you don;t blow your brains out first before getting the knack.  It can get frustrating.  The scuba diving video on Youtube is an example of Ektachrome which have held up pretty good in the 35 years.  I think the whites are clipped as I used auto in the scanner originally.  These tend to clip in auto so I have since switched to scanning flat.  Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.  I hope to learn here as well as it is a difficult process.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDzogShfhgCHh2rVvEsFOJQ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/albums

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Alan Klein.
    Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: October 8, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Hello George,

I used to be an avid reader of Popular Photography back in the 1950s and 1960s, so I recognize your name and vast experience.

My experience with film scanning goes back about two decades now, having started in 1999 when some then new technology entered the market making this a feasible proposition for basic but acceptable image making on a desktop. Since then I progressed along with the digital technology – both hardware and software (several different products) – allowing ever increased quality improvement, until this branch of photographic imaging became uneconomic for most of the industry to progress further with it, at which point the mid-priced, high-quality end of the product market atrophied to the regret of many. Along the way, I became the author of – still – the only such comprehensive textbook in existence focusing on the use of SilverFast 8 as a stand-alone application or in conjunction with Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. Since then, I have branched into scannerless technologies for digitizing film and in fact am in the midst of a major project taking a fresh look from the fundamentals upward at the myriad considerations entering into high-end reproduction of transparent media.

It is against this background that I am very much looking forward to your forthcoming contributions and the opportunity to exchange ideas with you on this subject, which for reasons you state, I believe will remain an important aspect of post-capture photography for some time to come.

Mike Hessey
    Mike Hessey
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: October 9, 2019 at 10:02 am

YES – it would be a great series. I have SIX decades of film photos, and I’ve scanned some, but always been disappointed with the results so far. I’ve started shooting on film occasionally of late, but my scans are very poor with current equipment, so currently using a very good local service to process and scan the current photos (I post the film to them one morning, and have scanned images available to download the following afternoon, which are far better than my scans would have been).

Joerg Thomas Klein
    Joerg Thomas Klein
    Participant
    Reply #4 on: October 9, 2019 at 11:42 am

I’ve also a lot of scanning to do. I bought a Nikon Coolscan V a few years ago, but I’m wondering now if a HighRes-camera would do better. Any suggestions?

Greetings from Germany

Thomas

Steven Somers
    Steven Somers
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: October 9, 2019 at 12:29 pm

Yes, I would like George to continue this series. Many of us have an archive that needs attention and this may be the catalyst to vault us into taking action!

Steve Somers

Dan Gerth
    Dan Gerth
    Participant
    Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019 at 10:52 am

Yes! I shoot film about 50% and would love some insight on scanning my negatives. I also have just started collecting all my family photos and plan on digitizing all of them. This series would really help.

Keith Mercer
    Keith Mercer
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019 at 3:02 pm

Would be very interested in such a project.  I scan my 35mm, 6×6 & 6×9 negs & transparencies with a V700 and EpsonScan software prior to importing into LR Classic.  Any information or techniques that may improve my results would be most welcome.

Benoit Malphettes
    Benoit Malphettes
    Participant
    Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019 at 9:51 pm

I would love to read/learn more about this subject. Mark Segal you said I have branched into scannerless technologies for digitizing film and in fact am in the midst of a major project taking a fresh look from the fundamentals upward at the myriad considerations entering into high-end reproduction of transparent media. I recall an article in which you explored DSLR/mirrorless scanning a year or two ago, is it what you are alluding to?

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019 at 10:21 pm

I am happy to announce we will continue with this project.  I just received the second article and will get it in the system as soon as I can and publish it.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Joerg Thomas Klein
    Joerg Thomas Klein
    Participant
    Reply #10 on: October 25, 2019 at 12:07 pm

Good News!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.