The Graceful Dead

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The Graceful Dead Read 188 Times
  • Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: April 23, 2022 at 11:36 am

D578CFAA-9C31-4B29-8A4E-E54F5A3D4641

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Re: The Graceful Dead
    Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022 at 11:47 am

Let me also offer this wider version which, after looking at them again, I like better:

56495E88-2993-4E2C-A80D-3DD5223956F7

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022 at 1:51 pm

I agree the looser crop is preferable. I like it. Might it have been better with a shallower depth of field, so the background isn’t so sharp?

Jeremy

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022 at 2:19 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Jeremy. The dead tree is actually quite deep into the scene. So to get the very front portion and the back reasonably sharp, I used f8 on the GF 50/3.5. Maybe I could have opened up the aperture a bit more and then focus very carefully. But my experience with this focal length is that even the widest aperture won’t produce a lot of background blur at this subject distance.

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022 at 12:57 pm

Nice Erik. Maybe burn the background rather than blur it to get more isolation of the subject tree

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022 at 1:02 pm

Hi Paul, you mean making the background really very bright? That would be an interesting idea. Need to think how I could do that in terms of masking etc.

So far, I have masked those rogue highlights shining through the trees and brought them down, but of course there is a limit to how far I can go with that before it turns into a completely grey soup.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by Erik Brammer. Reason: Addition
    Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022 at 1:06 pm

In LR, applying some negative clarity and negative dehaze to the background can be quite effective.

Jeremy

Erik Brammer
    Erik Brammer
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022 at 1:09 pm

Thank you, I will try that. I have a radial mask to create the vignette around the dead tree. I could add negative clarity and dehazing to that one as a start.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.