The 6th International Landscape Photographer of the Year 2019

Viewing 4 posts - 13 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Topic: The 6th International Landscape Photographer of the Year 2019 Read 29224 Times
  • Mark D Segal
    Mark D Segal
    Silver Member
    The 6th International Landscape Photographer of the Year 2019
    on: August 29, 2019 at 3:55 pm

Yes, all of that makes a lot of sense to me. It’s all just different paths and different tools to achieve a result in the mind’s eye.

Mike Nelson Pedde
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Participant
    Re: The 6th International Landscape Photographer of the Year 2019
    Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019 at 3:17 pm

This conversation reminded me of a recent post by Julian Caverly: https://www.juliancalverley.com/blog/2019/6/11/lotus-cars-from-norwich-to-nevada

It’s important to note that this is commercial work and not for a photo contest, but since the vehicles were shot in studio and then grafted onto carefully selected backgrounds it demonstrates some of what’s possible. Is this still photography? How is it different in intention from say sandwiching two film images together? Photo contests – not just in the future but today – need to determine whether photography is in fact a representational form of expression. Guidelines get blurry…

Mike.

_____
    Mike Nelson Pedde
    Victoria, BC
    https://www.wolfnowl.com/

Andrew Molitor
    Andrew Molitor
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019 at 12:36 am

To be honest, all those Lotus Car shots read instantly as renders. They could all be screen grabs from any recent edition of Gran Turismo, and in many cases the video game would look more convincing.

Someone went to a great deal of trouble to make actual photographs, albeit composites, look like video game captures, for some reason.

Louis Foubare
    Louis Foubare
    Silver Member
    Reply #3 on: September 2, 2019 at 5:35 pm

I entered some images, but all of them were classified as General even though some were entered to be in the categories- “The Lone Tree” or “Snow and Ice”. I could not find how to reclassify them correctly on the website.

Viewing 4 posts - 13 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.