suggestions

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Topic: suggestions Read 141 Times
  • Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Landscape & Nature Photography
    on: July 7, 2024 at 1:50 pm

I’m planning to be in New Mexico / southern Colorado for a couple of weeks in late September / early October, wandering around on my own taking photographs. Any suggestions for interesting things to see or places to visit gratefully received.

Jeremy

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Re: suggestions
    Reply #1 on: July 7, 2024 at 2:08 pm

White Sands is amazing, but it is in south NM. At that time of year, it is still very hot, so plan to go early morning or late afternoon. Yes, the light is better anyway, but with all the fill from the sand, you can shoot any time and get nice images. If you go down that way, it might be worth going to Carlsbad Caverns National Park. The Great Sand Dunes in southern CO are also worth seeing.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Paul Sokal
    Paul Sokal
    Silver Member
    Reply #2 on: July 7, 2024 at 3:27 pm

Tent Rocks National Monument is about 45 minutes from Santa Fe and is a unique geologic formation. It’s a relatively short hike, I think a mile or two and it takes you through a slot canyon which is lovely. There are also some Pueblos in the area too that are interesting. As they are Native American lands, some have their own restrictions so check on those before you go. Have fun. The NM skies are beautiful!

Frank Worley
    Frank Worley
    Participant
    Reply #3 on: July 7, 2024 at 9:30 pm

i second the motion for Tent Rocks !

Great Sand  Dunes makes for some interesting patterns in sand and a real slog up the hill.

There is a bridge across the Rio Grande river west of Taos that is interesting.

Gorge Bridge

The Valles caldera west of Los Alamos – https://www.nps.gov/vall/planyourvisit/maps.htm

There are a few old mission churches in the Santa Fe general area if you want to explore.

There is a Japanese style Onsen just outside of Santa Fe on the road from Santa Fe to the Santa Fe ski area that is quite decent. Not cheap though.

https://www.newmexico.org/listing/ten-thousand-waves-japanese-health-spa-%26-resort/6061/

alternatives:

11 Top Hot Springs near Santa Fe, New Mexico

Mike Broomfield
    Mike Broomfield
    Silver Member
    Reply #4 on: July 8, 2024 at 7:14 am

Hi Jeremy,

A great place to visit, I drove the path from Alamogordo NM to Cortez Co last September/October on the way from Mass to Lee Vining Ca for a workshop.

Alamogordo for White sands; was tracked up as there had been no wind for several days, not while I was there either so I had to work for dunes and shadows, also the gate opened after sunrise

Farmington for Chaco Canyon (and much more)

Durango; nice  touristy town with very accessible steam trains running to Silverton, the drive from Durango to Silverton gives great views, then on to Ouray on the Million Dollar Highway, old mines not too far off the highways though a good 4WD might be needed

Cortez for Mesa Verde, make a reservation ahead of time to access the Cliff Palace and others (the only way to get down to them, but good views from above)

I was there a little before the annular eclipse (I was in Ca by then) but this was an interesting poster in the Chaco Canyon visitor center and shows many/most of the National Parks and Monuments in that whole area.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ev3H9SN6g3Jk2WDM9

I hope you have a great trip …

Mike

PS, I can send you a link to a gallery from the trip if you’re interested,

John Hollenberg
    John Hollenberg
    Participant
    Reply #5 on: July 8, 2024 at 10:41 am

Tent Rocks has been closed since the beginning of the pandemic and there is no opening date:

https://www.blm.gov/visit/kktr

Russ Lewis
    Russ Lewis
    Silver Member
    Reply #6 on: July 8, 2024 at 2:37 pm

Don’t miss Pikes Peak if you can make it, Jeremy. To get there you’ll drive through Manitou Springs, Colorado, where I lived and photographed for decades. I also was mayor of the town for six years.

Andrew Rodney
    Andrew Rodney
    Participant
    Reply #7 on: July 8, 2024 at 3:14 pm

I’d give +1 for Pikes Peak and Manitou Springs if you go that far north. Not far from the Peak is Victor, an odd, cool, old mining town with a great German bakery (Gold Camp Bakery), worth a stop. The Peanut Butter Pie is to die for.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #8 on: July 13, 2024 at 3:07 pm

Thanks, all. I have some planning to do.

Jeremy

Kevin Raber
    Kevin Raber
    Silver Member
    Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024 at 4:15 pm

While you are at it, come visit me in Indianapolis. We have a print workshop on the 11th. You should attend that. Everyone here has made some good suggestions for your trip.

Kevin Raber
    Owner and Publisher of photoPXL

Jeremy Roussak
    Jeremy Roussak
    Gold Member
    Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024 at 1:18 pm

Kevin, I’ll talk to BA about changing my flights, but I suspect it would be horrifically expensive. One day…

Jeremy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.